Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Hi all, sorry I've been gone for a while.
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 23:39

I left you because I've been side tracked from cabin building. My family and I have started building wood fired saunas on a steady pace for the second straight year now. I didn't see this coming. When posting here in the past , I made it sound like backwoods cabins were about all I thought about. I still do spend almost everyweekend at mine. Even though we built nearly forty saunas last year, I did build four small cabins, none this year. That may change. I did meet with a nice couple today in Grand Marais today and if it all works out, I should build just one more. Several people have contacted me from this forum in the last year or so, and seem to like what we used to do. Anyway, thanks for sharing all your wonderful cabin stories. I will come visit from time to time.
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna
Sauna

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 23:43

Some pics. From christensensaunas.com
Owen
Inside
Inside
Stove
Stove
Inside
Inside
Rear to front
Rear to front

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 00:18

Well, Owen, it sure looks like yer just gettin' better and better at this.

Keep on keepin' on, and don't ferget to pop in from time to time.

cheers

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 08:20

Thsnks, Gary, I admire all the help all you long timers have gave to so many new cabin builders. I want to do the same, but life diverted me away. As we get more settled into the new direction, this forum might be my place of calm reflection. I know my own cabin is the destination I look towards at the end of any week that gets too busy.
This summer
This summer
Fire through to whiskey glass
Fire through to whiskey glass
To keep the new bbq from the bear
To keep the new bbq from the bear
Very tall ferns
Very tall ferns

creeky
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 19:50

Welcome back Owen.

We're in drought conditions so my ferns aren't as tall as yours. But the bobolinks fledged the new generation today and the song fest is on.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 20:50

Nice, since I've been spending way more time at the cabin, I've noticed weekly changes in nature. Each species takes it's turn being the brightest or loudest.
Owen

DRR
# Posted: 8 Jul 2016 23:03

I think it's great how we all get tuned into the land at our places. I was up at my place last week and I could just feel how the land seemed more alive. The last few years have been somewhat dry, but this year has seen a bit more moisture. The trees were full and green. There were some showing stress last year, but they were singing and ready to dance this year. LOL!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 06:43

Yes, DRR, those changes too. Helping out nature just a little. I'm not a big fan of human development, but some mowed trails, flowers, a special tree mixed in with the forest, things like that. I work hard when I'm there. I pound on the well, build decks, chop wood. Go go go, to the point last weekend something happened to me. I ran short of breath and had to stop in mid project. That drove me nuts, but I had to rest. On reflection, I think I had some kind of allergic reaction. I think it was from smoke from burning moldy basswood.

rmak
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 09:38

It's about time you came back to apologize. Everybody knows it's more important to be on the internet instead of actually be doing something.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 10:24

Owen, I just saw how one can build a cabin without a permit. Its a sauna AKA a cabin with nice cedar tongue and groove interior. Julie, you reading this.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 19:06 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

You guys might like my jacks. They hook under the rim joists and electrivly lift 10,000 lbs three feet high. They are controlled by a wireless remote and need a 12v battery for power. I use them to lift saunas straight up, then roll a trailer under and set it down. Then reverse the operation upon delivery.
jacks
jacks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jul 2016 22:15

Owen, a little cribbing, get under there, insulate and put in varmit proof mesh. Wow, maybe you should look into tiny houses too? https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/tiny-house-trailers

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 13:17

Nice trailers. I will revomend them for portable saunas too.
Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.