Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Gun Rack and new Kitchen
NY BUCKS
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 10:29

Just want to post latest upgrades. Any ideas on counter tops? Home Depot wants $650 for Formica for this small counter. Rather do something more origainal.
Canpr.jpg
Canpr.jpg
Rack.jpg
Rack.jpg

sparky30_06
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 10:37

$650 from home depot??? wow is that custom size?? what if you bought the premade pieces and cut it to fit yourself??

You could always make your own laminate top, it's not to hard. Just need a skill saw and router basically.

Or do a wood top but you will have to keep it oiled

NY BUCKS
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 11:31

Yea... That's what I said. That was a made top with Formica. I can do the stock tops and cut and join for about $250
Only couple options though and the wife is not liking ether. I have never made a laminate top, but I would think I could learn.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 12:01

it's not to hard, double layer of 5/8" MDF glued together, the bottom layer can be strips if you want along the front, back, side and where the cabinets land. attach a nice wooden front and side, if you want. Apply contact cement to laminate and MDF. place laminate on MDF carefully to avoid air bubbles and roll down. Trim excess laminate with route bit and use an OG bit to make a nice edge. Then build your back splash in a similar fashion. They make laminate flush trimming bits for your router to trim it up nice and flush. Then use a file to knock the edge off. WARNING cut laminate is VERY SHARP. That's the quick and dirty version.

Building a basic top isn't to hard to do. Google and YouTube are your friend. I built many counter tops back in high school working at a custom cabinet shop

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 12:29

650 ! EEK ! Ok, someone was obviously puffing on the Wrong Stuff there for sure ! Looking at your stove (which is a real beauty BTW), I'd say RETRO ALL THE WAY !

Have you considered a Ceramic Tile counter top, using 12" Vitreous While Tile with bull nosed tile edging ? You'd need 3/4" Ply (not OSB) underneath as your cabinet supports will be solid and edging depending on what finish you want....

With the Tile, you could also use a coloured tile edge that matches your stove, like a green border with the rest white (matching the white on stove which looks more like a creamy white) would make it POP for sure... Tile is not expensive, durable & tough (provided you put a good consistent mastic layer under it)... Yes it can crack if you drop things on it but well installed tile takes a LOT before it will crack.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 13:02

I love that stove!!!!!

NY BUCKS
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 13:35

Thanks Hattie, that was a good find.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 14:47

Quoting: sparky30_06
You could always make your own laminate top, it's not to hard. Just need a skill saw and router basically.

I did mine, was cheap, built the top myself having Home Depot cut the particle board on a sheet saw, will be 2 feet wide, then in the corner, figure out how much more you need. Then roll on your own formica. Super easy task, I did mine and never did one before. It turned out perfect. Get a roto zip with a flush trim bearing bit to finish the edges.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Aug 2016 22:54

Tile.....or find a leftover slab of granite at a stone yard and cut it to fit yourself...

sparky30_06
# Posted: 2 Aug 2016 06:43

I would avoid tile, the grout is a pain to keep clean and sealed on a countertop. Now leftover slab of granite or marble is a possibility. I found a large long butcher top from a pizza store that went out of business. It would have made a killer top.

Asher
# Posted: 2 Aug 2016 07:54

That looks like a great candidate for a concrete counter top.. I love the looks of those concrete tops and the best part is you can custom build anyway you want... Ultimately I am going to do ours with concrete, when I do I'm going to inset a removable cutting board into the counter that can drain into the sink. If I can figure out how, we are going to also inlay (different color concrete) a map of the river that cabin is on so it will be easy to let the wife know where I plan on being for the day...

sparky30_06
# Posted: 2 Aug 2016 08:56 - Edited by: sparky30_06

Asher
just reminded me of a counter top I saw in a fishing cabin. The people did a clear poured counter top. Seen a few bars like this. They had a map, pictures of the cabin being built, family fishing pictures, some fishing lures and other little things in there. Was really neat. I've never done one or seen one done but there's another idea.
http://www.bestbartopepoxy.com/epoxy-countertops/

Asher
# Posted: 2 Aug 2016 22:57

I really like that, the concrete might get scrapped for a little while cause this would be a lot faster...

We just came up with an idea, use some weathered (gray) oak planks, route/carve the river map into the wood, maybe some other little carvings, add a couple dried local leaves for accents and flood it about 1/2"...

great find sparky30_06

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Aug 2016 19:46

How about large pieces of flagstone cut to fit?

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2016 22:46

we used to embed things in deep clear, using surfboard resin. Painters tape the edges. Mix up a medium hot batch and pour over whatever items you want to embed. (heirlooms, junk silver coins, photos, keys, tools... whatever) When finished peel tape, sand away remnants then brush the edges with resin.

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Aug 2016 10:20

love that stove! super cute.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.