Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Cabin Stool
fpw
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 13:40 - Edited by: fpw

I trying to figure out how to make some basic cabin furniture with some of the scrape slabs and poles I have stored at the cabin. This is my first attempt at making furniture with an approach that is not timber framed.

The legs are secured to the stool with wedges and glue. I like this idea. However, I had to use screws for the cross braces. Any idea on how to secure this type of bracing without using screws?

Jon
Stool
Stool
Stool
Stool
Method of Securing the Legs
Method of Securing the Legs

islandguy
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 14:17

typically, legs and stretchers are dowelled in, or mortised. A special tool like a big pencil sharpener is used to shave the ends of the stretchers into dowels which are then glued into holes drilled into the legs. Another method to enhance the screw-on method, and add significant strength, is to simply wrap the joints with copper or steel wire, being carefull to pull the sharp ends back into the winding. Good luck, and keep building.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 11:17

a paddle bit can drill holes in the legs...you can shape the other ends with a draw knife.

glue and a ratchet strap pull them together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmswoodworks/4526486161/in/set-72157623787645678/

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 12:26

thats really a wonderful stool.u could sure make some money from selling those.will u make more furniture for your cabin in this same manner?? very nice.

fpw
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 18:56

Thanks for the feedback.

Cabingal3

I try and make pretty much everything using Timber Framing, logs, poles, etc. A lfew slaps, chainsaw, axe and chisel and there is much you can't figure out.

Right now I am working on a shaving horse, cause peeling the poles without one is a pain. This is where I will test out a better method of joining my support stuff.

I sell something now and then just to a friend that might want whatever is sitting around. Mostly, I do this for me and to keep me sane all winter when it is so cold and dark outside.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.