Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Rope pump
Rickkrus
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 23:25

Anyone ever play around with one of these? Seems pretty cool.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 12:32

Never heard of it before. Neat idea.
220pxRope_Pump.svg..png
220pxRope_Pump.svg..png

paulz
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 14:36

I'm thinking some kind of bell mouth at the bottom of the tube to help the balls enter.

1tentman
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 15:49

I have pumped many a gallon of water with one of these, they were found on alot of cisterns around barns. They were the main pumping system for watering livestock back in the day.One advantage of this style over a pitcher pump was you didnt need water to prime it, you just started cranking on it you could move alot of water in a short time.
The thread title rope pump didnt register with me at first until I saw bldginsp picture. The ones I used were chains with rubber disc or cups fastened to the links about every 12 inches or so. The chain links were basically s hooks fastened together that went around a sprocket at the top of the pump.
Disadvantages -the chains were high maintenance they had a tendency to break alot. When you was done pumping and you stopped you had to hold the handle and let the water drain down the pipe or the chain would spin backwards and that would cause alot of strain on the links, also it would smack you on the wrist and really hurt if you wasnt careful. The biggest drawback was the kick in the rear you got from dad or grandpa for letting is spin backwards and breaking , then they would have to fish the hole chain assembly off the bottom and repair it.

Paulz- I never really saw the bottom of the pipe much but I think your correct it had to have some sort of bell or taper on the bottom. I dont ever remember it catching when I was pumping water

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Jan 2017 09:36

thanks 1tentman for the benefit of your experience. I wonder what the maximum height is that this method could practically pull water from.

1tentman
# Posted: 30 Jan 2017 12:49

bldginsp -the design of this pump has been in use for many years, what materials that are used to make it would be determined by what was available.This pump could be made from alot of different items ,the efficiency and durability of it would be determined by the quality of the items. I dont have a answer for maximum height that it would pump. I would think that would be determined by how tight the washers or balls fit the tube, how close they were spaced on the rope or chain, how fast you could spin it and long you wanted to turn it. I dont see any problem with lifting water 20-25 ft, thats just a guess on my part though. The lower the water level the harder its going to turn, and the efficiency goes down due to the weight of the water being lifted. Its been 50 years since I last used one ,but the topic brought back alot of memories.

Ponder on this for awhile, you are in the jungle and you need to build one of these pumps and use only items that are in the surroundings could you design and make one?

buckybuck
# Posted: 30 Jan 2017 12:49

My tough-as-a-cob granny had one of these outside her house in what's now a hoitiy-toity bedroom community near Cincinnati. She used it to pump water for personal use, not for livestock.

It was as Itentman described; my recollection is the chains were large rectangular links like those in a drag chain, and there were cups. Her pump had a galvanized steel cover that enclosed it, but we always pulled off the half-moon top of the cover off because it was fun to watch the chain move and the water spill out.

I don't remember how deep the well or cistern was but I can't imagine it was very deep, considering the weight of water.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.