Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Bunky on a Georgian Bay island
Cyn
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 15:48 - Edited by: Cyn

I have signed on to get some info on flashing my windows. The swing in bifold windows are hand-made but were installed without flashing so they leak in driving rain - badly. I hope someone can tell me where to post my flashing question. I assume the windows will have to be removed and reinstalled. I love the look of these windows (summer cottage only) and don't want to replace them - hoping I can fix them. It's a really nice sleeping cabin.
cabin2.jpg
cabin2.jpg
cabin9.jpg
cabin9.jpg
cabin17.jpg
cabin17.jpg

rockies
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 19:20

Where is the rain leaking in?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 21:14

Lovely place. Storm windows installed over them look like the only option unless you go for complete replacement. The way they open and close, I'm not sure there's a flashing solution.

Cyn
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 22:34

rockies, the rain is wind driven onto the windows and then it pours in at the sills.

Salty, unfortunately storm windows would defeat the purpose of having windows that open completely. They are designed so that it feels like you are in a screened porch when the weather is good. As a summer cabin, air-flow is important. I am unsure how flashing is installed so I am not sure how the way these windows open affect it. Thanks

Just
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 23:20

I have similar windows in our sun porch at the lake they are hand made and do not leak l will snap a pic next time we go.. do you have a close up pic with the window open??

Cyn
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 23:42

hi just
unfortunately I don't have close up pics. I'll make it a point to get some this summer. Do your windows fold open?

Just
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 18:05

If you can blow this pic up a bit you will see that I cut a 1\2 in dado all the way around the outside edge of the window , I then applied a 3\8 in stop to the outer jam so when the window is shut the stop fits tightly in the dado . I also drilled drain holes in the bottom stop so if any water dose get in it leaks back outside. This has worked well NO LEAKS .. and we get some hard blows off lake Erie . I WILL GET A BETTER PIC NEXT TRIP
COTTAGE
COTTAGE
WINDOWS
WINDOWS

Cyn
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 18:43

Thanks Just
I can't make it out in these pics. Might be something I can try this summer. I am hoping the design is not such that there is no fix. I made the mistake of thinking the builder would make them properly - live and learn

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.