Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Kenora II cabin
kbvalley
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 09:20

I just ordered the plans for this minicabin and will be starting this spring. I plan on posting the project. Has anyone seen or built this design and if so send pics...

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/kenora2.html

---somewhere deep in Montmorency County, MI

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 09:57

Looks like a great cabin, cant wait to see pics!

wintonmania
# Posted: 3 Apr 2011 17:34

We are planning on building it next year and look forward to your thoughts while you build. Did you have a rough estimate of how much it might cost? Are you planning on modifying any aspects?

Good luck from northern MN!

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Apr 2011 17:44

I have looked at this as well. My only problem is I don't want to climb a ladder to get to loft.

kbvalley
# Posted: 6 Apr 2011 19:40

hey, sorry I missed that question.
I've spent $2400 YTD on everything which includes the steel roof, all exterior T1-11, windows and doors (2) framing and foundation, electrical (wire and fuze box, outlets etc), interior wall materials and some insulation. All I need to finish the job that I haven't purchased is the 2x8's for the rafters and the sheathing for the roof. I figure that I will be in it for $2800 for the shell and other things that I listed above. I changed the stock plan of the Kenora II which was 12x16 over all to 16 x 16 over all and added a bathroom. There's always the finished floor and the interior finishing that needs to be added but you get the picture. I set a budget for my self of 3-4 thousand and will be right on the mark. As for the inside, you can always do that over time and make it as nice as you'd like. I will probably spend extra on the inside because I want it to be nice, even if it is small. Check out the blog and let me know if you start building, I'll help where I can. BTW, the plans arent a lot of help, but they do provide some inspiration and generals.

kbvalley
# Posted: 6 Apr 2011 19:43

Yeah, the wife doesn't either so we designed the main floor a little larger and the loft a little smaller so that you could fit two double beds up there and have a nice futon to take up for the main floor for when its just us. Company and kids get to sleep up top!

Erin's#1Mom
# Posted: 6 Apr 2011 20:11

What will be your access to the loft? I'm too old for a ladder.

kbvalley
# Posted: 6 Apr 2011 20:18

Thats what I was suggesting, a murphy bed or a futon in the main 1st floor and a ladder to the small loft for storage or additional sleeping options for guest. I figured that stairs would be too obtrusive in such a small cabin. Kind of hard to get around a ladder but you can do something angled more like a stair around 30-35degree angle which would be easier to go up
stair.jpg
stair.jpg

wintonmania
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 10:18

Thanks for the great info kbvalley! I love your blog so far and will absolutely ask questions when we start to build. I look forward to seeing your progress. How exciting!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 May 2011 22:37

Quoting: kbvalley
I just ordered the plans for this minicabin and will be starting this spring. I plan on posting the project. Has anyone seen or built this design and if so send pics...

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/kenora2.html

I ordered the Whitehorse from them and also built it too. ;D

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 02:34

I have built this Kenora 2 identical to the blue prints other than I did the walls with 2x6 instead of 2x4. I built it on a monolithic concrete slab, with a stampcreet pouch

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 02:36

How do you do a picture here?

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 02:48

I am 65 and have a ceiling mounted fold down aluminum ladder rated 350 lbs very solid which fits into an opening large enough to pass sheetrock etc upstairs. I dont see the problem with the ladder when up there is more room. I built it entirely myself with the exception of the excavator who specialized in septic tank instulations dug it perfectly had to do no shiming of the forms I build. A paid a truss company to make the trusses cost $950. set on the building. I hired two carpenters to help set the trusses and help me put the sheathing on the roof. The rest I did myself. woops I hired two concrete finishers to help me pour and finish the slab $500.

Retired
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 03:02

Well I figured out how to register still cant add pictures

kbvalley
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 07:18

Go to the blue writing undid the text box and it says "upload a file (s)". I'd love to see the cabin pics of yours. Inside too if possible.

neb
# Posted: 7 Oct 2011 12:16 - Edited by: neb

Retired

You also can upload on photo bucket and copy file and paste to your post here on this site. I would like to see pictures also.

Retired
# Posted: 30 Oct 2011 17:13

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/LegendProducts/

Retired
# Posted: 18 Nov 2011 13:03

I had gotten my monlitic slab done in late October I paid a couple concrete finishers to help me pour the slab and pourch footings $500, by the following October I was getting the roofing on, this is where I am at by this October. I worked by myself most of the time with not that much help along the way. I was a concrete contractor, but had not build anything above slab grade before. Anyone can do these things if you purchase a concrete, framing book, roofing book and reseach each step along the way.
I hired an excavator for $400 to dig out the footing, I dug the column footings myself in winter time when it was wet. I built the forms for the monolitic slab and did all the set up myself, materials ran around $2500 for the building and pourch slabs, Being a concretee contractor I overdid it with reinforcing steel, 4-4-4 wire mesh, eight anchor bolts dedicated for earthquake rods up through the framing, 15 yrds of concrete in the pourch and monolitic slab. You could have put a bank vault on it:). I am not a fan of building things on pier blocks. If your going to invest your money and hard work in a building spend the money for a foundation that will last longer than the building. I hired a plumber for $750 for the ruff in of the toilet, shower. I hired two carpenters to help me with the trusses and frame the dormer and gable ends and frame the gable end walls. $2000. I put 40 year roofing on the building used water and ice along edges of roofs which will have gutters, and in the valleys of the dormer. All the roofing materials were around $1700.
Windows were around $900. Front door $200.

Retired
# Posted: 19 Nov 2011 17:18

I added some new pictures to my link above my cabin plan was a Kenora II

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.