Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Roof on our Pavilion
Cowracer
# Posted: 30 May 2017 14:04

You all may recall that last year we started on a pavilion on our lake lots. We got as far as getting the deck in place, but never had a chance to get the roof on it. Link

We had a bit of issue getting the trusses, till we decided to bite the bullet and order exactly what we wanted from a custom builder.

Over the holiday weekend, we got the trusses up and the roof metal installed. We specifically designed it to have 4 foot overhangs on the sides just to make sure the rain can't reach us if we are under it, and to max out the shade as the sun moves across the sky.

Like most of the stuff with our cabin and lake lot, it took entirely too long to finish, but now that its done, we can enjoy it for years.

After seeing it live and in person, we are all thinking we will box in the gable ends. I think that would be a very nice look. We'll probably use T1-11 to match my cabin, and the other cabin yet to come.

TIm

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 May 2017 15:00

I think boxing in the gable ends would certainly be the right finishing touch. Not sure how close you are to water etc but likely you have a fair bit of skeeter's and such other carnivorous little beast flying about... Have you considered Screen Panels ? Maybe something to put into the "Things to consider" jar for discussion with the family. That could make the new pavilion even more enjoyable.

Cowracer
# Posted: 30 May 2017 15:14

Screen panels discussed and put in the "maybe later" category. Skeeters are manageable right now. Neighbor behind me has one of those mosquito magnet things that makes CO2 from propane and attracts the bugs and then sucks them into a trap bag for disposal. You can really tell the difference when he turns it on. I will probably go with one of those before the screens.

Tim

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 May 2017 15:32

Our June Bugs are the size of Big Mice already, so I am thinking a lot on bugs these days.... holy moly ! Well you already have that in the thinking for the future bin. Why create more C02 when you don't need to ? no answer required, just think on it...

Cowracer
# Posted: 30 May 2017 16:12 - Edited by: Cowracer

CO2 attracts bug. You place the Mosquito Magnet away from you (100 feet or so) and the bugs go there instead of in your area. We are not talking huge volumes of CO2. About equivalent as the pilot light on a stove.

I am a bit leery of screens. I feel they will negatively impact the breeze (maybe only a little, but maybe more), and at night, I feel I would not be able to see as well outside through them. It would feel to me like creating this wonderful space outside, and then insulating it from some of the 'outside' that I want to experience.

Tim

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jun 2017 14:08

I had a mosquito magnet at my previous place. They do suck up the propane. But, if you'll allow me one of my long stories ...

We had that bad skeeter season. The magnet, which I had thought wasn't working that well, was running. I kept checking the trap. Not much. Not many skeeters out.

Then, skeeter explosion. But in my backyard. None. We could dine on the deck. One day I'm coming up from the dock and the neighbor girl is in her yard. Doing the mad Canadian dance. Swat swat swat arms legs swat swat.

i'm standing there. No mossies about. She looks over. And you can see her think "that is the toughest guy in the universe." but in reality. the mosmag had cleared out the yard.

So one day. Suddenly. Mossies everywhere. I went to check the trap on the mosmag. It was jammed with carcasses. I'm talking tens of thousands of mosquitoes.

After that I no longer complained about the propane refills.

Note: Takes a bit of searching for the "right spot." It will attract mossies so they will be around it. You don't want it close to where you'll be. A place with some wind protection worked for me also.

Wilbour
# Posted: 6 Jun 2017 21:46

remember the guy who put his arm in the fish tank full of mosquitoes to show the "before" Off Spray use?

That was a brave man

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.