Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / It begins!
. 1 . 2 . >>
benny8
# Posted: 6 Jun 2017 11:16

The excavator called me last night and they want to start with the site work today. The weather is terrible. Its raining cats and dogs, but he is still coming and planning on pulling stumps today and putting the driveway in tomorrow. Last summer we couldn't buy a drop of rain, and this year has been the complete opposite. May have to build an Ark instead of a Shamp. This will be my construction thread for our Shamp build. They will also be digging the spring and running the pipe to the holding tank. Hoping that Saturday we can dig and pour the Sonotubes. Pictures coming soon!

Cowracer
# Posted: 6 Jun 2017 11:35

Woo Hoo! Take lots of pictures!

Tim

benny8
# Posted: 12 Jun 2017 04:07

Well, Wednesday was a monsoon of rain here. The excavator did show up and pulled all the stumps and roughed in the driveway and building site. When I showed up after work, it looked like a swamp. He planned on coming back on Thursday, but upon arrival, it was still too wet. Planned on Saturday. I arrived on Saturday morning and he was there spreading gravel on the driveway. My Dad and Grampa showed up to try and get the water in. This is where we ran into some bad luck. The vein of water was running in on ledge. We couldn't get down to build a reservoir, and couldn't get down in to get a pipe in the ground. Plan B-Grampa dowsed a new location. Only issue is, he doesn't like putting water in this time of year because the water table is usually high due to the seasonal rain. This year has been way above normal. We ended up digging and hitting 2 veins of water that was pouring in. We decided to leave it until Fall to see if the table drops. The excavator then went back to work on the driveway and cabin site. We took a ride back up that evening and was very pleased with his work. My dad and I spent yesterday building a jamb for the Shamp door. We prehung it and bored the knob and deadbolt holes. Fingers crossed that things will dry out a little more this week so maybe, this weekend we can pour sonotubes.
Driveway looking towards road
Driveway looking towards road
Shamp site
Shamp site
Driveway looking towards Shamp site
Driveway looking towards Shamp site
Road looking down driveway
Road looking down driveway

benny8
# Posted: 12 Jun 2017 04:19

Updated pic of Shamp door in its jamb.
20170611_160718_1497.jpg
20170611_160718_1497.jpg

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 03:51

My vacation started June 30th at about 9am. Picked up my Dad and we hit the local lumber yard. Picked up material for the front porch of our Shamp.
20170630_163305.jpg
20170630_163305.jpg
20170630_163506.jpg
20170630_163506.jpg

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 03:56

Day 2 found us back picking up lumber for the cabin deck. My wife, my dad, and myself got the deck framed, insulated with the bubble foil and decked.
Framing
Framing
Insulating
Insulating
Finished
Finished

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:03

Day 3 and we have to hit Home Cheapo because the lumber yard is closed on Sundays. We spend about 2 hours picking out lumber. We finally get started on the exterior walls.
Dad framing
Dad framing
3 walls up
3 walls up

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:09 - Edited by: benny8

Day 4 was a short day due to a Drs appointment and therapy, that would eventually get cancelled. We went to work, but would have been better served going fishing as we could not do anything right. Think we got the final wall built and the porch framed.
Porch
Porch

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:20

Day5-Independence Day. My daughter and I loaded the truck with 600 board feet of Shiplap and picked my dad up. We started by plumbing the walls and blocking them for the shiplap. Day ended early when the nailer blew the trigger valve. Oh well, we had a cookout to get to. We actually got it partially wrapped as well.
Coli and Dad
Coli and Dad
Blocked and partialy wrapped
Blocked and partialy wrapped

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:27

Day 6- Back at the local lumber yard. 2 hrs to pick thru their rubbish lumber for rafter material. We also picked up the new valve for the air gun.We finished the blocking, got it wrapped and 2 sides shiplapped.
Fully wrapped and 2 sides boarded
Fully wrapped and 2 sides boarded
Dad and a well deserved brewskie
Dad and a well deserved brewskie
Brook side wall
Brook side wall

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:31

Day 7-We got our rafters all cut and set on the cabin portion. Sarah and Mom came up and cooked us an awesome dinner on the grill. Steak and potatoes.
Rafters up on cabin
Rafters up on cabin
Rafters
Rafters

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:36

Day8-We finished the rafters over the porch. Boarded in the porch gable. Boarded the back of the cabin and gable. Sarah delivered pizza and beer for dinner.
Rafters and porch gable
Rafters and porch gable
Back of cabin gable
Back of cabin gable
2 of my favorite people
2 of my favorite people

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:44 - Edited by: benny8

Day9- We got the roof boarded up until we ran out of material.
Inside looking up at ceiling
Inside looking up at ceiling
Roof
Roof

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:53

Day 10 was spent mostly on the road. Drs appointment and therapy. Then on a hunt for shiplap. I get a good buy on planer outs from a buddy at a local mill. But unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of him. So, I bought directly from the mill. 40 cents a board foot is not bad, but his price to me is 18 cents. Anyway, all I could get was bead board/v-groove. It will work for the cabin. Price was right. We finished boarding the roof and got it covered with the grip rite paper
Roof
Roof
View from roof to wood pile
View from roof to wood pile

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 04:58

Day 11-My dad had to take my Grandfather to the drs so I worked on the screens for my homemade awning windows. We then went up to the Shamp and boarded up the front wall and gable of the cabin.
Awning window
Awning window
Boarded front of cabin
Boarded front of cabin
Bead board
Bead board

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 05:04

Day 12-Dad played golf this moring and I finished and installed the screens on my awning windows. We then went and installed the drip edge. We boarded up under the rakes and installed the soffit vents and soffit boards.We also temporarily installed the door.
Drip edge
Drip edge
Door temporarily installed
Door temporarily installed
Soffit vents
Soffit vents

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 05:11

Day 13- It rained most of today, so i got my ATV implements in the mail the other day and I assembled them. I will soon be putting in my food plots. Finally the rain let up, so we went and picked up the metal roofing and headed up to the Shamp. Sarah, Dad and I put it on in less than 2 hours. We got one side finished, and had just started the other side when the rain started again. How my dad stayed on the roof is beyond me. We got it done, though.
Superman on the roof
Superman on the roof
Roofing done
Roofing done

sparky30_06
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 07:36

Looking great man!!!! What are you planning in your food plots?

NorthRick
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 12:28

Dang. I'm on year 3 of my cabin build and I don't even have a foundation yet.

benny8
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 18:37

Quoting: sparky30_06
Looking great man!!!! What are you planning in your food plots?

We will be planting Imperial Whitetail Clover, Double Cross and Tall Tine Tubers.

Bigred292
# Posted: 14 Jul 2017 18:50

benny8
That is a great looking cabin !!
Love the look- what are your plans as far as power, water and toilet?
Also, where are you located?
Thanks for sharing pics- keep em coming

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 15 Jul 2017 01:50

MOVIN AND GROOVIN!!! Looking good!

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2017 14:02

Nice Benny!

benny8
# Posted: 15 Jul 2017 20:04

We are located in NH. We have water on the property that my 87 year old grandfather found for us by dowsing. Unfortunately, it is tainted from the run off from the neighbors old pig farm and who knows what else. So, we will have 2 55 gallon food grade water tanks in a bathhouse that I will truck the water from home. We will use a generator and a composting toilet. Thank you all for the kind words.
Windows in
Windows in
Back windows
Back windows
Front porch cleaned
Front porch cleaned

benny8
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 04:50

We finished the exterior yesterday. It is now weatherproof. We had about an hour of trimming the windows and door. We met my goal of having it finished by the end of my vacation(16 days). We worked 14 days and about 70 hours.

benny8
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 04:52

Some finished pics
Front
Front

benny8
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 05:03

Have more pics, but it keeps saying too big.
Front
Front

KabinKat
# Posted: 21 Jul 2017 22:44 - Edited by: KabinKat

Wow, very, very nice!

Great work, I love that porch!

benny8
# Posted: 31 Jul 2017 04:03

We spent the last couple Saturdays working at the Shamp. We put up the plywood skirting. Built a ramp and an 8' set of stairs. This Saturday, I framed the bedroom walls, got temporary running water hooked up, and built the outdoor shower. Hooked up my Ecotemp L5 hot water heater and it worked like a champ. Spent Saturday night there with the wife and the pups. Life is good.
Under sink pump and plumbing
Under sink pump and plumbing
Water barrel and hot water heater
Water barrel and hot water heater
Outdoor shower
Outdoor shower
The pups
The pups

benny8
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 04:40

My folks put the Thompsons water seal to the exterior and it really turned it into a nice color. The excavator came back and extended the driveway so now we can turn around. dropped me off some crushed stone to cover the perimeter drains. My dad and I spread that last night and we are now ready for the guy to cover the solid pipes and finish grade. things will be coming to an end soon due to hunting season and my folks will be headed back to Florida for the winter.
shamp5.jpg
shamp5.jpg
shamp7.jpg
shamp7.jpg
shamp6.jpg
shamp6.jpg

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.