Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Ontario 16x24
Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 12:58

In 2011, some good friends and I went in together on 100 acres of Canadian shield, marshes and beaver ponds and finally in 2016 we started on putting in a small cabin. The 2 main issues.
1. TIME, getting our group together to build is difficult. We have managed about twice a year since April 2016.
2. Getting in materials. Our site started completely without access and remains with atv or foot access only (if the bridge on the beaver dam doesn't wash away). The trails are a challenge without building supplies let alone with 12ft lengths of wood. Each trip takes a minimum 45 minutes to an hour ONE WAY. We are nearly done after the past weekend and I'll start with the April 2016 pictures and work from there.
Travelling in
Travelling in
Beaver dam bridge
Beaver dam bridge
Drilling into the shield
Drilling into the shield
Posts up and braced waiting for Fall
Posts up and braced waiting for Fall

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:10

September 2016 we managed to make our second build trip and our focus was the beams, joists and walls. We decided on leaving the floor for a bit longer because we would have no chance to close in the cabin for at least another year.
Beams going on
Beams going on
Some wall work
Some wall work
Prepping for the last beam
Prepping for the last beam
One more wall then wait till Spring
One more wall then wait till Spring

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:15

April 2017, we HAD to make 2 trips. One to fix and shore up the bridge after the spring thaw and bring in some windows. The second to get the roof on.
Bridge repair supplies
Bridge repair supplies
Getting started
Getting started
Ready to go
Ready to go
The free windows
The free windows

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:23

The roof build was actually one of the easiest weekends we had. Everything just seemed to co-operate and I was so happy it did because with practically nothing going wrong we still just barely finished in the time we had.
Day one trusses
Day one trusses
Morning the second day, Why we are building here
Morning the second day, Why we are building here
Side one and chimney starting
Side one and chimney starting
Dusk and done for this trip waiting for Fall
Dusk and done for this trip waiting for Fall

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:31

Late August 2017 we were fortunate enough to have my one friend's father and uncle come up to see "Just how badly we were doing" and help put on the walls and finally put in the floor. Seeing as they are a pair of Master Carpenters, we jumped at the chance to get a weekend of their time. Even if it meant they were going to rib us the whole time( which they did).
Ready and waiting
Ready and waiting
Screen and floor starting
Screen and floor starting
Nearly done
Nearly done
Floor done and stove installed
Floor done and stove installed

hunt_camper
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:33

That bridge sure looks a lot like one I see in some YouTube videos. Are you close to Raspberry Rock?

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:39

The walls and windows.
Ply sides going on
Ply sides going on
How the Hell to set a ladder here?
How the Hell to set a ladder here?
Back done
Back done

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 13:47 - Edited by: Patman77

Part of the reason we all want to have a site like this is to ENJOY it and after a few trips, and years, with only building on the plate it was time for some fun. I brought my two Brothers and Father up for a relaxing weekend. Sept 2017
My Dad and I
My Dad and I
Venison on the fire
Venison on the fire
View from the far side of the beaver pond
View from the far side of the beaver pond

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 14:17 - Edited by: Patman77

April 2018, time for the siding. We are all pumped that we are this close to being finished and we all have 4 days to put into the build. No problem right? Wrong. Every builder's good friend "Murphy" decided to put in a visit and after arriving, was having SOOOO much fun, decided to stay for the weekend. We arrived fine then the problems started. First trip in with supplies and we get to the first turn and realize that the trail is basically a muck pit. Ok, we can deal with that then we arrive at the beaver dam bridge and the winter wasn't very kind to it so we had to fix it to get to the other side then fix it for real to make sure that the multiple trips in with wood aren't going to put someone in the water. We arrive at the site, empty the trailer of our personal stuff, tools etc and take the sides off to get them ready for transporting wood and head back out for the first load of boards. Almost at the trucks and the trailer tire rim catches a rock and promptly goes flat. The spare is (of course), left at the cabin site. Back to get it and once on load up our first two trailers and realize that its nearly noon and we haven't even got one load in yet....well at least the guys we left in will have finished some of the Tyvek by the time we get this in. Nope, the wind picked up and the two of them could barely get it to work so only a bit done. Back out and the other trailer hits a rock and breaks its axle. Its done. We go and borrow a trailer from Raspberry Rock (check out his youtube) and load up and start the second trip in. It's now so boggy, my buddies atv can barely make it through the trail and once we finally arrive we realize his hitch was almost broken off, its done. This continued for most of the weekend but once again we managed to get almost all we wanted done finished and are extremely pleased how things are shaping up.
This needs some work
This needs some work
Crappy flat tire
Crappy flat tire
One of the "Dry portions" of the trail
One of the "Dry portions" of the trail
Day one Tyvek almost done
Day one Tyvek almost done

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 14:20 - Edited by: Patman77

LOL, yes Hunt camper, he bought his place a couple years after we got ours.(Actually he outbid me for the land). This bridge has been a constant issue but there is really nothing we can do about it.

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 14:34

Siding going on and finishing up
Starting the siding
Starting the siding
Ready for battens
Ready for battens
Coming along
Coming along
Done for now
Done for now

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 14:38

hunt_camper
Just figuring out how to use the reply to person... LOL, yes Hunt_camper, he bought his place a couple years after we got ours.(Actually he outbid me for the land). This bridge has been a constant issue but there is really nothing we can do about it.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 17:30

How long before those tree posts in the ground start to rot?

Just
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 18:00

Great cabin in a perfect place. Good work!

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 20:09 - Edited by: Patman77

DaveBell
Five of the posts are sitting directly on rock. The sixth we did have to dig a bit before we got to shield but we encased the below ground portion in post foam and it has been working well.

Princelake
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 20:27

That's a nice read and great pics looks Good! Makes me want to get started on my lot. What area of ontario are you in?

Patman77
# Posted: 24 Apr 2018 23:15

Princelake
We are in the Madoc and Tweed area.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Apr 2018 06:18

Beautiful area! We are not too far away!

Princelake
# Posted: 25 Apr 2018 14:00

Ya no where near me! I'm building my cabin up past wawa lol

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.