Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Just purchased my dream cabin!
TheWanderer
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 10:27

Helo everyone!

I have finally purchased my dream cabin so I thought I would introduce myself to the forum. It's about 600 square feet on 9.5 acres of very private land.

I am heading there next week to wire my solar system. A very intimidating task and hopefully you guys will be able to share some knowledge with me. My father works for a company that can get wholesale price on solar stuff. At 35% discount , I decided to start big. 1300 watts of solar panels, 305ah battery bank and an 80amp charge controller. Its going to be a 24v system.

Anyways, I will have many questions in time, but for now, here are a few pictures!

TheWanderer
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 10:29

Here are the pictures
37267932_10160723842.jpg
37267932_10160723842.jpg
36364530_10160663785.jpg
36364530_10160663785.jpg
36382829_10160663785.jpg
36382829_10160663785.jpg
30738590_10160374383.jpg
30738590_10160374383.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 17:06 - Edited by: Wilbour

Thanks for the update. Solar is intimidating but it all makes sense. If you understand the basics as in how a flashlight works, just take your time.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 17:37

Right on Wandered. Welcome aboard. Lots of fun is in store for you.

FishHog
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 18:48

looks like a great place. What area of the world is it?

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 19:02

Good looking place, yes, where is it? I just did solar last season at our place, and yes, it was intimidating, but really fun, and such a great feeling when you get finished and flip that light-switch
There are lots of smart people on here when it comes to solar (not me...but i would pose the question: why only 1300 watts? And why 24 V? My understanding is that 48V is better, offers more options, etc.....

TheWanderer
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 19:56

The cabin is located in Nova Scotia, Canada. With some love, I think I can really make the place shine.

I figured my power consumption and built a system around it. Besides, I will only spend the winter months there for the next 6-8 years. By the time I am ready to live there full time, the batteries will need to be replaced and a 48v system upgrade will be much less painful.

I do intend to put a couple more panels next year though.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 17 Jul 2018 19:24

Can't help you much with the solar, but wanted to say I love your creek that is flowing nearby! Great location!

Eddy G
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 08:16

How has no one mentioned the SHOWER in the Living room?
Don't get me wrong, our place wasn't and isn't perfect either. I've found all kinds of crazy things during the remodel.
I just thought the shower up on blocks in the living room was kind of funny....
Good luck with the place, enjoy it all...

TheWanderer
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 09:41

haha! Yes the shower is in the living room. That is until I build a couple walls and a toilet to turn it into an actual washroom.

And to be fair, I am on my own and I will be spending only the winter months up there. Making sure I can wash myself and take a crap without freezing my extremities off is sort of a priority.

NorthRick
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 12:06

Quoting: TheWanderer
The cabin is located in Nova Scotia, Canada. With some love, I think I can really make the place shine.I figured my power consumption and built a system around it. Besides, I will only spend the winter months there for the next 6-8 years. By the time I am ready to live there full time, the batteries will need to be replaced and a 48v system upgrade will be much less painful.

You are going to need a relatively big solar array if you want to do solar for power in the winter that far north. The sun is pretty weak that time of year. You also need to think about snow and practical ways of removing it from your panels. Even a little snow will shut them down almost completely.

TheWanderer
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 13:10

I know that the panels won't be as effective in winter. My power needs are about 45amps/day. The panels should give me about 40 amps in full sun and the average at the cabin is 2.5 hours in the worst months. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the batteries charged pretty good. If not, I do have a small generator to fill in the gaps.

I do intend to significantly beed up the system in the coming years but for now this is what my budget allowed.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 15:11

The shower, I agree should be warm, the outhouse tho. Something to be said for looking out over a snow swept field at -17 while sitting and contemplating the eternal verities.
yup.

I sweep my panels with a industrial squeegee I got from a big box. Attached to the end of an extendable pole. I think you said you had a charger. Keep your batteries warm. Lead derates fast as it gets colder.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 18:03

Quoting: creeky
The shower, I agree should be warm, the outhouse tho. Something to be said for looking out over a snow swept field at -17 while sitting and contemplating the eternal verities.
yup.

Agreed, get a styrofoam toilet seat and don't worry about it. I was at the cottage this winter and had a week of -33C. Still enjoyed the outhouse with the door open watching the wilderness start the day.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.