Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / laminated polystyrene cabin
kaluvic
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 12:07

In an effort to build a well insulated cabin that I could prefabicate and assemble myself i decided to try and make it out of laminated polystyrene panels..
wall/roof panels ready to install
wall/roof panels ready to install
floor panel installed
floor panel installed
first panels installed
first panels installed
before cutting in the dormer
before cutting in the dormer

kaluvic
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 12:09

it all worked out very well..

kaluvic
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 12:33

I still need to do a permanent roof but for now I wrapped it with snow and ice guard.. Still some final finishing to do on the inside but way livable in the Alaska winter.. I hear it with a popcorn fart since there is almost no thermal bridging because there are no structural members inside the panels.. just foam.
beams are fake from foam
beams are fake from foam
8ft 6" ceiling at the center
part of end wall set up on wheels to drag out
part of end wall set up on wheels to drag out

kaluvic
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 12:35

sorry about the sideways and upside down pictures.. they didn't look like that in the album.. maybe a moderator can help me adjust them

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 13:13

That's a pretty amazing looking build! The same thing happens to my photos all the time.

NorthRick
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 13:52

How did you bend those panels?

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 17:41

Fantastic Idea. DIY SIPS!

rockies
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 19:40

In the design of an arch the biggest problem is preventing loads from above causing the sides to push out, thereby causing the arch to collapse. A barrel vault like yours is basically one long arch.

Since your cabin shell is made up of several panels joined together to form the "arch", how do you support the roof inside in case of heavy snow load?

Cowracer
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 09:02

Interesting idea and kudos for trying something new...

But...

I'd hate to be within 1000 feet of that sucker if it caught fire. The toxic gases released by burning polystyrene would make your skin crawl (literally)

Tim

Wilbour
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 13:35

Happens to all of us from time to time...
beams are fake from foam
beams are fake from foam

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jul 2018 15:06

What a beautiful build. Really like the cutting board in the kitchen.

I've built a lot with xps/polyiso for insulation. Great R value. Pretty easy to work with. But I've never done arc or bent shapes. I might have to give that a try. Any tips on bending foam?

There's a guy "down the way" who does foam decorative panels. Amazing what you can do. Of course they use it in movie sets and what not a lot too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.