Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Outdoor wood fired saunas
stitch
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 02:09

Looking for some pics and some help deciding what to do and build.
Right now thinking of building a 8x10 Sauna. 4x8 changing room with a 6x8 sauna. Right now I'm thinking the wood stove will be fed from the changing room. I like the idea of feeding the fire from the outside. But if I feed the fire from the changing room, that room will be warm from the wood stove door.

I never have drawn up plans, even when I built my camp I think it in my head, write down what I need, double check that it will meet what I want and then bang it comes together. So right now this is what I'm thinking

-2 2x8 skids on concrete blocks
-2x8 floor joists 12" OC
-double 3/4" treated plywood subfloor
-float 1-2" of concrete on top of sub floor to a drain
-7' ceilings, I'm 6'5" so I don't wanna duck down.
-2x4 wall studs or 2x6? I used 2x6 to build my camp. Heck that wood stove burns sticks to warm it up and easy to heat so leaning to using 2x6 studs.
-Rolled insulation alright with a thick mil vapor barrier? I worry about high heat and moisture with the water that's involved with a sauna.
-Hand built 2x8 rafters
-2 foot covered deck to hold some firewood and cold drinks

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 10:18

Have you looked at any of Owen Christensen's posts or pictures yet? He is a member here who has built a lot of sheds, small cabins, and saunas. Very well built buildings. I have a couple of cabins and a shed built by him. A sauna is next on my list. One thing he does different is the floor of the sauna. He uses deck boards set as close together as they will go. Water is still able to drain away, but critters can't come in, and the floor is warm underfoot and light.

rockies
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 18:24

This company has a lot of good advice.

http://www.homesaunakits-since1974.com/sauna-kits-outdoors/127-outdoor-sauna-tips-to- avoid-mistakes.html

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Jul 2018 07:22

I built a wood fired sauna out of logs at my place. It's about 10x10 inside with the wood stove inside of it. I feed it from the inside and keep a small stack of wood available. I have a peaked roof with a lower bench and upper benches. It works amazing and we use it every day when we are up there. I put a small homemade pool in front of the sauna that I heat with a copper coil and the sauna wood stove. Also works great!

old243
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 22:43

We picked up some metal clad foam filled sections from a meat storage cooler. Sections are about 4 feet wide, stand verticle . This eliminates critters from the wall. Plywood floor , galvanized metal over it. Drain in center. Walls are lined with cedar Floor has wooden slated sections you can remove to clean if required. Stove is in sauna and fed from dressing room, need cement board spacers near stove , for fire protection, from excess heat. We have saddle tanks on stove for hot water, and a barrel of cold in dressing room. Works good. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.