Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Weekend bridge building
SE Ohio
# Posted: 15 Feb 2011 16:03

There was a slight warming trend here in the Ohio tundra, so I took one of my kids down to the off-grid non-plumbed cabin for a weekend project.

The cabin is in the Ohio dampforest (as opposed to rainforest), as it never quite dries up really well due to the heavy shade. As a result, our cabin entry "bridge" is mossy and slippery, and subject to rot. Also, as a result of adding a storm door that opens out, one must "back up" in order to stay on the raised bridge when entering the cabin, or else fall several feet (we're on a hillside). Time for an improvement.

The improvement- Widening the bridge, and using composite lumber that won't soak up water or rot so easily.

The original cabin builder used some really nice "twisty" nails in this construction. Not a one had backed out the slightest bit! As a result, I had to dig into the pressure treated wood using a prybar and a hammer to get at the nail heads. It was a bit of work. The wood was saturated with water and "squished" as I pried out the nails, reaffirming the choice of composite lumber.

The tools: Cheap hand saw from Harbor Freight, three charged cordless drills, stainless steell square drive screws, a good sharp pencil, and ... where did that beer come from?

The weather held up, and I managed to get it all done despite stoking the stove, etc. My son and I managed to get in a hike while we were there, and overall it was a good weekend. Next time we'll install the safety rail and maybe a permanent installation of the solar panel.
Cabin_entry_bridge.J.jpg
Cabin_entry_bridge.J.jpg
Entry_bridge_tools.J.jpg
Entry_bridge_tools.J.jpg

rayyy
# Posted: 26 Feb 2011 14:59

Sound's great.Memmorible times you and your son will never forget.

steveqvs
# Posted: 28 Feb 2011 09:43

Very nice.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 28 Feb 2011 19:25

I hope to get back and finish it soon... So many projects, so little time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.