Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Bunkie build
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 20:17

I just thought I'd share my inexpensive bunkie build.

We have been using our pop up trailer for a guest house for many years now. The trailer has seen its better times and my wife and I were always the ones putting it up and down, making sure it was dry etc. So this summer I decided to build a 10x14 bunkie. I wanted to keep it as inexpensive as possible so my plan was to frame it with logs from my property and side it with pallet boards. I also was going to gut my trailer for whatever I could use.

I purchased pressure treat for the floor and plywood but wanted to do as much as possible with pallets. Once it was framed I wrapped the outside of the logs with heavy plastic then put the pallets up. I also used pallet boards as sheeting. This is not winterized in any way and I have no intention of using it in the winter.

I was lucky to be able to score four 42x72" windows and screens from family. This allows me to keep it wide open when hot. I made wooden tracks for the windows to slide open and closed on. I also got 2 smaller ones for the front that pop in and out. The roof is steel. I took the table bed and cushions out of the trailer and made benches for that with pallets. The queen bed is also from the trailer and I put log legs on it and made a pallet headboard.

I also put LED lights inside and outside and wired them to a 12v battery I also got for free. My father in law threw in an old awning and I put a deck on the front. I did buy lumber for the decking so it was consistent thickness. I also bought some rough pine for the trim and made a night table inside.

It's a redneck looking building but I'm ok with that. All in all I may have $1400 into a fully furnished bunkie with deck.

It was a lot of work gathering pallets and breaking them down but worked on that over time while at home and took the boards up.

It was great using it this summer. My in laws stayed in it for over two weeks and loved it. Everyone else who has stayed in it said they had the best sleeps ever.

When we left at the end of this past thanksgiving weekend it was wet out and it was so nice just closing a door and putting the lock on the door.
Framing
Framing
Starting siding
Starting siding
Table/bed
Table/bed
Queen bed
Queen bed

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 20:21

A couple more pics
In use
In use
Awning rolled away
Awning rolled away

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:20

That is a delight! I'm sure it was fun to build and is even better to stay in.

Just
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 22:03

Great budget,my kind of build.

darz5150
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 23:04

Love the look. If you photo shop your last pic in black and white, it looks like a classic cabin from the '30s or '40s. Great job.👍

neckless
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 23:08

recycle reuse at its finest

darz5150
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 23:29

Vintage look.
IMG_20181010_221911..jpg
IMG_20181010_221911..jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 19:56

Thanks all! Yes my goal was to reduce, reuse etc and I think I was able to accomplish that! It was great having family members who were all willing to offer up different things! My wife helped tons as well as family to get it done in time to use. It was nice having the in laws up there with a cook stove to make their morning coffee! My mother in law even used a lugabaleloo toilet so as not to bother us in the morning! It was a fair bit of work to clear the area, frame and then complete the build but well worth it in the long run. I could have done a better job in parts buts I wasn't going for pretty and wanted to keep it redneck/rustic which I definitely accomplished! Where we put it, it's totally out of the way and frees up parking/turning space from where the trailer used to be.

Darz thanks for the new pic I love it! It looks great in black and white!

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 20:58

The credit is all yours. The little imperfections in my opinion make it perfect! You've built something that has its own personality. Glad you liked the picture. When I first did it. It put a smile on my face because it looks like it already has many stories to tell. Great job skoot!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.