Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member...our guest cabins
Jeepgal
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 04:46 - Edited by: Jeepgal

My husband and I love history, and particularly our local history.

Our home was built on top of the old Luther Menifee Wilson Quartz Load Gold Mine. It was in production in the mid to late 1800s. They hit the water table, and it flooded. His original homestead is two properties away.

In keeping with the local mining history, we decided to build tiny miners cabins for guests.

They are 10 x 14. They started as basic sheds.

Our buddy from nor cal has been collecting old barn wood for decades. He’s getting up in years and finallly decided he wasnt going to be able to do anything cool with it. So he offered us as much as we needed, along with old doors and windows, and a few antiques to get us started.

We love how they are turning out. The bedroom cabin is mostly done. We still have the heat pump to put in.

The second cabin is going a lot slower. This one will have a bathroom and kitchenette.

The two cabins are at angles to one another. The porch decks will connect and extend to the back of the cabins, giving a nice cool “under the trees” retreat.

They are fully insulated. The corrugated steel roof is just for looks. There’s an asphalt shingle roof beneath. The hardware on the doors and windows are all turn of the century. My husband found some awesome window latches that were patented in 1885 on his birthday...lol

We’ve really enjoyed putting these together.
A96ED5A4F98E4CA88.jpeg
A96ED5A4F98E4CA88.jpeg
8679C58F829240259.jpeg
8679C58F829240259.jpeg
82EBC8E2544B4E718.jpeg
82EBC8E2544B4E718.jpeg

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 08:18 - Edited by: fiftyfifty

Wow, those are a real delight. I can't wait to see inside pics. That false roof idea was really smart. Are the walls made the same way (i.e. barn wood put on as decorative siding over plywood)?

Jeepgal
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 13:20 - Edited by: Jeepgal

Thank you! We are truly loving how they are turning out.

The first is just an open room. Yes, the barnwood walls are over tivec and OSB. The space between the corrugated roof and ceiling is stuffed with insulation, as well as the walls.

Folks ask us if the cabins have always been here, even though the other isn’t finished...lol.

Here are some inside pics.
556E2660630E419FA.jpeg
556E2660630E419FA.jpeg
58F791AE99B948A0B.jpeg
58F791AE99B948A0B.jpeg
08CD6619BABC4A82B.jpeg
08CD6619BABC4A82B.jpeg

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 13:48 - Edited by: fiftyfifty

Nice! I very much like your plan of 2 little cabins, rather than 1 bigger cabin. It keeps the scale just right. Also this will work really well if 1 person is an early riser while the other likes to sleep in. That, and if you put a wide bench or daybed in the kitchen cabin, it could work to sleep a 3rd guest in a pinch.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 14:24

I also hope to do something like this. I'm on the cusp of being an empty nester. My wife has a hard time thinking about not having a 3 bedroom home. So, I suggest a modest cabin for us, with 2 small cabins. This is also way more energy efficient for when the guests leave - just winterize if there's any plumbing.

Jeepgal
# Posted: 4 Nov 2018 00:44 - Edited by: Jeepgal

Here is the rendering of the second cabin.

The sofa is actually a sofa bed. There is a loft in that one. The little console table expands to four different sizes. I’m using a bench as a coffee table, and two square leather ottomans as chairs for the table and additional seating. I have

I use an iPad app called Home Design. I couldn’t figure out how to vault the ceiling....lol. It’s a cool little app, all the furniture and objects inserted are scaled to the size of my actual furniture. It also gives you building type blacks and shapes to create custom objects, then you add color and texture. The rails, ottomans and bed a custom. But I could see using this more and more often.
DA44D8D378D141DDA.jpeg
DA44D8D378D141DDA.jpeg

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 4 Nov 2018 07:01

Very nice. I bet this will work well.

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Nov 2018 14:59

Really nice! Like the old look...

Janemarie
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 18:14

Just stunning cabins.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.