Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Ok, just starting
chainsrgone
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 22:35 - Edited by: chainsrgone

We just bought a nice bit of land (for an AWESOME price I might add) and plan on eventually putting a small cabin, about 12x24 on it. Probably won't happen too soon but I'm absolutely tickled that we even got as far as getting the land. It's about 13.6 acres and mostly trees. Not exactly roughing it (right next to an old highway and we'll be using rural water and electricity) but perfect for city wimps like us. And check out the shape. You think that survey ain't gonna cost a ton?
land.jpg
land.jpg

Just
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 22:50

Very nice , looks like a nice clearing there for a cabin !! maybe a pond !! welcome aboard.....

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 22:56

nice property...... did you not get it surveyed before the purchase???
looks like a nice place for a cabin---good luck on your build...........

chainsrgone
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 23:10

Quoting: turkeyhunter
nice property...... did you not get it surveyed before the purchase???

You're supposed to do that before? Seriously, we were getting such a good deal, we took a shot. I've read books that were shorter than the legal description though.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 23:12

Quoting: Just
Very nice , looks like a nice clearing there for a cabin !! maybe a pond !! welcome aboard.....

Thanks. We had that same thought about the pond the first time we saw the satellite picture.

bugs
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 07:37

chainrgone

It looks/sounds almost perfect for your situation and should be easy access.

What is with the shape?? Very strange. Must be some interesting zoning.

Hope you have a lot of fun in your new corner, should I say many corners(?), of the world.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 07:45 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: chainsrgone
You're supposed to do that before? Seriously, we were getting such a good deal, we took a shot. I've read books that were shorter than the legal description though.

i worked for a surveyor for over 25 years part time, ( state govt engineer--full time for over 31 years) and the people who always were stuned were the ones who bought FIRST and surveyed SECOND.....on one survey was a fellow who bought a beautiful log home on a 25 acre tract, and after ti was surveyed , he only owned/bought the porch of the log home on his 25 acres, his neighbor sold him his log home he just bought and a additional acre of land for 75000.00 and he was glad to pay it. Lots of times wells, and fences and building are not on the land you purchase. Saw it so many times. On case a fellow bought 15 acres to put a hunting cabin on, paid for the property and THEN had it surveyed to be 9.85 acres, he was not happy, did the seller cheat him??, he never had it surveyed and was TOLD is was 15 acres. Please i am not trying to scare you, just the facts.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 08:41

Hm, let me speak in almost complete ignorance.
If not surveyed, where's the red lines coming from?

Any iron survey rods on any corners anywhere?
Neighbors have records?

chainsrgone
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:08

Quoting: bugs
What is with the shape?? Very strange. Must be some interesting zoning.

Yeah, it's weird. The bottom right part outside of the line is an acre with a rentla house owned by the same old lady we bought our land from. I guess since it's still making her money, she didn't want to give up that part. I don't know how the rest came about. Hoping to buy the "mouth" in the near future. All it's got is some run down old shed on it.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:09

Quoting: Gary O
If not surveyed, where's the red lines coming from?

From the tax assessor.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:11

Quoting: turkeyhunter
i worked for a surveyor for over 25 years part time, ( state govt engineer--full time for over 31 years) and the people who always were stuned were the ones who bought FIRST and surveyed SECOND.....on one survey was a fellow who bought a beautiful log home on a 25 acre tract, and after ti was surveyed , he only owned/bought the porch of the log home on his 25 acres, his neighbor sold him his log home he just bought and a additional acre of land for 75000.00 and he was glad to pay it. Lots of times wells, and fences and building are not on the land you purchase. Saw it so many times. On case a fellow bought 15 acres to put a hunting cabin on, paid for the property and THEN had it surveyed to be 9.85 acres, he was not happy, did the seller cheat him??, he never had it surveyed and was TOLD is was 15 acres. Please i am not trying to scare you, just the facts.

Not scared in the least.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:18

From the tax assessor.

So, if you challenged them, would they have proof (records) of a survey?
Pardon my thoughts, but there sometimes are ways of getting around or avoiding things deemed necessary, when something is already there (like over insuring things, or getting an extra warrenty, covering an already existing one.......).

chainsrgone
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:32

So, if you challenged them, would they have proof (records) of a survey?
Pardon my thoughts, but there sometimes are ways of getting around or avoiding things deemed necessary, when something is already there (like over insuring things, or getting an extra warrenty, covering an already existing one.......).

To tell you the truth, I doubt it. The same couple owned the land for ages. I can check. We technically don't "own" the land yet so nothing is set in stone. The lady we're buying it from is supposed to sign the counter-offer papers this afternoon which we plan to accept.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:37

I can check

Never hurts.

Enjoy the adventure, chainsrgone, and welcome!

Gary O'

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:38

Not scared in the least

I really like your attitude.
Cabins get built that way.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:53

Enjoy the adventure, chainsrgone, and welcome!

Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.