Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Small Cabin Build turns Big cabin build - Canada
Newfoundlandcabin
# Posted: 20 May 2020 22:50

Hey guys and gals, I’ve been following the site for years and years. A couple years back I finally purchased some land to build a small cabin located in Newfoundland on the ocean. Sometime shortly after I had an opportunity to dismantle a large wood building. So the small cabin idea transformed quickly to a bigger more roomy cabin. We decided on a 26’ X 47’ shack with a small loft mainly due to the truss size we salvaged. Completely started from my own design and with little full on building experience. Anyways, if you’d like to check out the build so far my lady has made a little website. We’re always open to ideas and suggestions and would love some input.

Cheers & happy buildin’!

Mike

https://www.ruralnotion.com/

Newfoundlandcabin
# Posted: 20 May 2020 22:59

Shot of the cabin at night
Cabinnight
Cabinnight

Newfoundlandcabin
# Posted: 20 May 2020 23:03

Shot of the recycled walls and roof framing started and front shot!
Roof framing
Roof framing
Front build
Front build

Princelake
# Posted: 21 May 2020 06:59

That's not a cabin that's going to be a cottage/home. I started looking at the website. Are your pads just on dirt/rock or are you on bed rock there? Also I think you mentioned you only went with just 2x6 floor joists?

Newfoundlandcabin
# Posted: 21 May 2020 21:00

We made 8-12” deep concrete pads poured on site with rebar drove down as far as we could. But yes, it’s all on bed rock. The front of the cabin has a bit of built up land but it’s all rock from the outcropping behind the cabin. I rolled it in with the excavator over and over. Hopefully it doesn’t shift.

The joists are all 2x6. Mostly from logs we cut. They are all spanned based on span tables I found on this site or online. Nothing for than I think 7 feet. All 16” OC. If I had more $ I would have went 2x8. So far so good lol. I’ll post some more photos soon.

Princelake
# Posted: 22 May 2020 06:53

Sorry to question things. The place is going to look awesome when it's done. It'll be bigger then my house when it's all finished. Good for you for taking on a project this large. My cabin project is only 16x24 and im a carpenter and tons of thought and planning is going into mine. So for yours you have 3x the amount of thought and planning. I knew number one the most important thing was foundation I poured right on bedrock. And I priced between 2x6,8,10 and in my area they were only like $2-3 more going up in size. I cutting my costs in my windows and doors. Going to the hardware store and finding one that were wrong orders for cheap. Going with the cheap colors in vinyl siding,unpainted metal roof,etc.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.