Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Old Buzzards Roost - ADA Shed
Ol Slim
# Posted: 8 Sep 2020 19:21

Hello all !
I found this awesome little forum a couple weeks ago. Since then I have been pouring over all the cool build threads. I have learned so much ! I am very grateful to all who took the time to document your cabin builds , and the challenges along with the rewards . I am in the planning stages of building a mountain getaway.

So far the plan is to start with a 24' square platform with a 16' x 16' square "shed" in the rear corner. We probably don't need quite this much room , however I have my own different set of challenges. I am confined to a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy. Getting around in the chair requires some extra space. One of the reasons for the large "L" shaped deck. I have a Polaris RZR that is how I access the build spot. Machine is equipped with hand controls so I can drive.

The build site is going to present some real challenges as well , its probably 3/4 mile from the paved road. Not a tremendous distance but the terrain is VERY steep in all directions..... Which is one of the most beautiful things about it......

Ol Slim
# Posted: 8 Sep 2020 19:34

Obviously due to my mobility challenges I will be calling in bunch of favors to try and make this happen.
My uncle met me Saturday to have a look at the build site. He has extensive experience in construction so hopefully he will be the head supervisor.

I welcome any and all suggestions and ideas any of you have to offer.

Build site is at the highest point of the mountain at a relatively flat spot. I hope to get it as far over to the edge as possible while keeping the build feasible . We plan to build the structure on posts . Dried in area will be 16 x 16 with a 1/2 loft. Loft will not be tall enough to stand but plenty of room extra bodies to sleep.

Hangblague
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 08:16

What a great challenge! All the best to you. What I've learned this summer is that everything takes way longer than I imagine it should and not to get too frustrated at that.

Ol Slim
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 12:44

Quoting: Hangblague
What a great challenge! All the best to you. What I've learned this summer is that everything takes way longer than I imagine it should and not to get too frustrated at that.

Thank you ! If the chair has taught me anything its a small amount of patience . Small that is.... I did however have a revelation after continuing to read over the threads here. The journey is as much of what its about as the destination. I just flat out enjoy spending time on this property , no matter if I'm just there working and not yet enjoying the fruits of our labor. If I can maintain that midset I think I'll be OK.

Ol Slim
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 12:51

Sooner than later I'll get this picture posting figured out. Spent a couple hours Monday with my son doing trail cleanup and preparation. The property has network of old logging roads we will use to get materials up to the top. Terrain is steep enough access will be ATV only. I'm gathering parts for a removable rack system to go on my RZR for hauling materials. I also have a small rough terrain trailer I can pull with the RZR as well.
My son will be the powerhouse of this build , he loves his dad and loves the outdoors so he's pretty into it so far. Fingers crossed that he stays interested , he turns 18 in October so.....

Ol Slim
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 13:25

Monday
Joonya Clearing The Way
Joonya Clearing The Way

Ol Slim
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 13:36

Site Pics
Me Overlooking Site
Me Overlooking Site
View Left
View Left
View Straight/Right
View Straight/Right

ratfink56
# Posted: 10 Sep 2020 13:52

Beautiful spot. Best wishes on your build.

Ol Slim
# Posted: 17 Sep 2020 12:49

My uncle got me some rough sketches of my thoughts on the layout.
Overall
Overall
Side View
Side View

Ol Slim
# Posted: 17 Sep 2020 12:54 - Edited by: Ol Slim

Took my other uncle around the property to change the SD cards in his game cameras....
Pond 1
Pond 1
Geese on the pond
Geese on the pond
Camera
Camera

Ol Slim
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 12:48

Finished widening up the access trail this past weekend. I think I can now make the climb with a load of material or pulling my ATV trailer.

We got a small start on my removable lumber rack weekend before last .

My uncle helped me put together the material list for "stage one" I'll call it. I got online and typed the material list in at Lowes ........ WOW.... materials are extremely expensive right now....

Realistically it will probably be spring before I actually get to break ground , so I'm hoping to see some relief in lumber prices by then.

The family members that hunt are getting started this week so my progress will slow because of this also. I try to be respectable and somewhat quiet through hunting season. Hopefully I can gather a few needed tools and possibly some craigslist leftovers and treasures over the winter and be prepared to dig in when the weather breaks .

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 14:22

I am also waiting Slim. We will see what late winter and spring do to the prices.

Have you tried contacting a local sawmill for the lumber side? Cant really do much about the plywood side.

Ol Slim
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 12:50

Quoting: Brettny
Have you tried contacting a local sawmill for the lumber side? Cant really do much about the plywood side.

By trade I am a service manager at an equipment repair facility and I actually have some good Amish Lumber Mill contacts. I had definitely considered them for some interior stuff I want to do, but had never thought about using untreated in an area subject to the elements. What kind of life could I expect using untreated material?

Ol Slim
# Posted: 10 Jan 2021 17:24

I decided to stay off the build site during hunting season to keep from disturbing any of my uncles hunts. I've been anxious to get back to the site , spent the las few months studying up , planning and hoping for some relief in lumber prices by spring. Myself , my uncle and joonya rode up to the build site yesterday. I'm very pleased with trail conditions getting in. No major cleanup necessary . We retrieved all my uncles game cameras and one of his tree stands. Wintertime view from the build site was amazing as always.We had some snow on Friday which only amounted to a dusting at the bottom of the mountain , however by the time we reached the top there was a few inches of accumulation. Awesome day in the woods. Hopefully I be able to begin to accumulate some lumber soon and actually break ground.....
Cabin View
Cabin View
Cabin View 2
Cabin View 2
Joonya
Joonya
Winblown Snow on Trees
Winblown Snow on Trees

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Jan 2021 18:26 - Edited by: gcrank1

Goodonya!
We have some views like that, and similar flora, in WI but not where our 16x24 cabin is.
I see the attraction
Our cabin was built in 2012 of likely green cut local sawmill odd size boards. We have some wide gaps! The roof is metal, imo that is better than our prev cabin with typical asphalt shingles.
The cabin boards were not coated with anything and have actually held up pretty well. We have a fairly generous eve on two sides, more would help.
If you can get some seasoned wood to start with and some fresh cut at the same time it may be ready later when you need it; ie, plan ahead for your wood. I want/need to make some changes so Im looking for the mill that the prev owner used.
Btw, sawmill wood and lumber yard wood does not look the same.....it wont match.
Both our cabins have had a similar fault, the trees were not cut back far enough in the initial ground prep. They continue to grow, and age, stuff falls out of them, they die and there is the fire danger..... cut back farther than you may like, you could well be glad later.
Take the time and effort to ensure the deck is solid straight, level and square or the 'issues' will multiply as you 'go up'.
Spring isnt that far away and the days are getting longer

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.