Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / A good builder
smitty
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 23:29

I just wanted to spread the word, about a builder I had a conversation with today.
He was a nice man on email, and even nicer on the phone today.
His name was Art I believe, and we had a good talk, going over a cabin I would like them to build.
The Amish Workshop

Just thought I would spread the word.
Very good to talk to on the phone. And knew exactly what I wanted..
They may be the ones who build our cabin..

bobrok
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 17:48 - Edited by: bobrok

smitty,

There is a very large Amish community here in NYS, especially in the central and finger lakes area (where your guy is and where I am).

I had the pleasure of contracting with an Amish builder for a shed I had built for me two years ago. I have nothing but nice things to say about my experience and the way they handled business. Not to mention the vastly superior quality of their construction vs. that which you'd find in a pre-built store.

They are very earthy people and although they may be the butt of many jokes for their chosen lifestyle I have to say I do admire them.

And you forum folks would be amazed at how ingenious they are in adapting to non-electric life, including the amazing inventions I saw for shed-building. They use internal combustion engines but no electricity, some telephone, depending on the situation but generally shy away from this.

We visited my builder's home on several occasions; met the wife and kids; and he came to my house for the install and to fix a few things some time afterward (no flaws, mind you, just some add-ons) and they were all very accommodating.

I recommend them. No ifs-ands-or buts.

EDIT: I want to add this. There are some who pass themselves off as "Amish" but are not. Most notably, you may see those "Free Amish Heaters" ads in your Sunday papers. The only thing Amish about those people is their look-alike costumes and haircuts.

smitty
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 20:37

I absolutely agree. And I admire what they do for their faith, lifestyle, community, and freedom..
Had another chat on the phone today, got prices, and everything looks good. Now just waiting on a call back to see if I even need a permit for a 12x32 "shed"... May not even need one.. We'll see..
Very good folks on the phone. And I am sorry, his name wasnt Art it was Jim..
Updates later as we go along. But so far so good. Nice folks..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.