Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / RV Propane Leak Detector
rockies
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 19:08

I never thought of this, but since most people living off grid in a cabin cook with propane you should install a propane leak detector. Most info is geared towards RV owners but they can also be used in cabins.

https://www.thervgeeks.com/what-is-an-rv-propane-detector/

Contrary to what you may think, a CO2 detector won't detect propane gas.

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 20:57

Put this in your links.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 21:02

Dont you mean a CO detector?

ICC
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 22:37 - Edited by: ICC

Yep, I believe the OP meant a CO detector. However, neither a CO nor a CO2 detector will sense propane or natural gas.

But do you think a combustible gas detector is required in a full time or part time residence that does not bounce around over roads and trails as an RV does? I have put thousands of miles on my bus/RV and never had a leak detected by the fuel gas detectors I have in it. Most of the sites I have seen that promote fuel gas detectors seem to be somehow involved in sales. I am not aware of any jurisdiction that promotes fuel gas detectors in residential housing. Have I missed something?

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 22:52

Idk, but it is in my head that those gas/leak detectors are required by law to be installed on new built RV's.
I do know mine failed within 2 years and online research of RV fora showed that to be common.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 23:05

I think it has been at least 15 years that new RV's need to have propane leak detectors. That is not the question. An RV is very different from a non moving habitable home or cabin. I just wonder how necessary a fuel gas detector is in a home or cabin on a permanent foundation. That was what the OP was suggesting, was it not?

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 23:30

Ouch

FishHog
# Posted: 20 Nov 2022 08:05

I put one in my cabin, as I lost my sense of smell and had accidently left a propane light (not on) running for 3 days before I noticed the valve in the wrong position. Anyone with a sense of smell would have noticed it within minutes.

But I truly don't see the need for normal people to have one in a fixed structure.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.