Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Movies about cabin life?
smitty
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 01:22

I am looking for movies to watch, about cabins, living in the woods, or off grid anything like that.
How about some movies, that might be of interest to a soon to be cabin dweller?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 07:00 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

this is a great DVD...from PBS.......... building a log cabin in AK

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2456246

"Alone in the wilderness" is the title..........

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 08:18

this is cabingal3-
i love national geo's-"braving alaska"
it is such a good documentary on families living up not far from the artic.
then there is the yearling.always a good story to be loved by all.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 15:43

How about a movie about a group of young people spending a quiet vacation at a rustic cabin in the woods?.... The Evil Dead

smitty
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 18:29

turkeyhunter - i watched that movie online this morning.. That guy was amazing.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:11

Quoting: smitty
turkeyhunter - i watched that movie online this morning.. That guy was amazing.

my favorite part was him making the hinges out of wood.......glad you liked it.

Timberjack
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:35

The film about Proenneke is on youtube. He was a survivor, no doubt.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 21:13

Quoting: turkeyhunter
this is a great DVD...from PBS.......... building a log cabin in AK

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2456246

"Alone in the wilderness" is the title..........

Already have that one. I have seen it also called "One mans wilderness" too.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 21:35

look at lamar5292. he was on forum early on. been living off grid for years.

smitty
# Posted: 3 Jul 2011 03:16

I found THIS one you all might like to watch.. Very interesting..
Hope it's legal to post this.. I found it with Google..

husker16
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 15:23

Pretty interesting video smitty. Kind of ironic how much money he had to have spent in order to do that. I also feel for his kids, being home schooled and living off the grid can't be good for social skills.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jul 2011 17:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The "Wilderness Family", think it was a Disney movie. About a kid with respritory issues, they go away for a while to a remote cabin from the busy city life, come back, doctor says kids respritory issues are gone, they stay there in the cabin and live happily ever after. Its a mom, dad, son and daughter. Run into typical pitfalls, ie grizzly attack on the cabin etc. Good wholesome show.

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 00:37

"Crusoe of Lonesome Lake", a 49 minute movie on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuRJCeiaIw

It's also a great cabin book.

iwhitewater
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 19:55

My daughters and myself spent 3 months in a cabin in Alaska doing a survival project based on Alone in the Wildernes and the book about the same adventure One Man's Wilderness. We were on Discovery channel in the spring of 2008 as participants in The Alaska Experiment. Of course what was presented on TV was just a small glimpse and even then it was edited to make give it more drama. I have the first draft of blue prints for the cabin I am getting ready to build in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas

husker16
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 23:06

That's awesome iwhitewater. Is it on YouTube or anything?

smitty
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 12:47

If it is, I'd love to watch it! I can say I talked to a celebrity :D

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 01:08

ADVENTURES OF THE WILDERNESS FAMILY

toofewweekends
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 17:15

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/historyculture/proennekes-cabin.htm

Not a video, but some additional info on Proenneke, the surrounding Lake Clark National Park, and links to his journals

iwhitewater
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 22:11

husker16 clips can be found on YouTube and entire episodes can be downloaded in torrent files Here is a link to an torrent file download site. I have never used a download so I can neither endorse nor speak lowly of it

Tell me who that celebrity is smitty I am just one of all of you here

iwhitewater
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 22:18

I just want to add that most of you in this forum could have accomplished what I did. The mindset that finds you here is the mindset that says you have the skills and ability. I just had the opportunity to spend 3 months in a cabin in Alaska. I am fortunate to have had the good luck to be found by Discovery Channel and do The Alaska Experiment.

Dennis Wise

steveqvs
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 22:24

Wow, my wife and I watched the Alaska Experiment. We tivo'd the entire season and it was great. Dennis is being modest. It looked very hard! If I remember correctly some people even left! Very cool.

Welcome!

Randoo
# Posted: 21 Mar 2012 22:44

There's a older (VHS only) movie called Sourdough. It's worth the search to find a copy.

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Mar 2012 01:24

Randoo, I loved that Sourdough movie but hated the Helicopters invading his space.

Jerimiah Johnson
Last of the Mohicans
The Edge
Legends of the Fall

all make me yearn for a cabin or could be watched in the cabin.

Seto
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 12:53

Les Stroud of Survivorman had a movie called "going off the grid" where he moved his family to a remote cabin in BC Canada

hattie
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 18:30

You can watch the Les Stroud documentary here: http://www.documentarywire.com/les-stroud-off-the-grid

They were in Northern Ontario. I just finished watching it and it is very good but I don't know how they can call themselves "self-sufficient". They are off-grid, but that's about all. They needed teams of professionals to get them "set up" so that isn't really self-sufficient. Also, Stroud doesn't seem to know much about the off-grid energy he is producing. He has had professionals set it up and he was basically reading from a script to explain it. He even admitted he doesn't know anything about it. I think if I were relying on it for my family (2 young kids are there), I would want to make sure I knew how it worked and how to fix it if it gets broken.

It was interesting to hear the wife say she thought it would be fun to bring in their groceries on skiis from their truck down the road. *LOL* That will wear off pretty quick I think.

Having said all that, it was a good documentary and worth watching. *S* Thanks for telling us about it Seto!!!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 21:40

http://vimeo.com/20404596

Alone in the Wilderness - Documentary Dick Proenneke builds a cabin from scratch with hand tools, overwinters in Alaska. Films himself and local animal life, etc.

Skybaks
# Posted: 16 Oct 2012 20:10

Check out this link they have a nice group of pictures as they built there cabin. http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.