Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Great price on 2 4 1/2" Porter Cable Grinders
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 21:59 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, as a big metal fabbing guy and a log home guy, I have to share this. Deal was so good, I didnt trust it until I had them in my hand.

qty 2 4.5 inch Porter Cable Grinders on sale for $29.95, this is about $14.98 each. This isnt 2 units in 2 boxes, its one box with 2 6.0 amp grinders and they even come with a 1/4 inch thick metal grinding wheel.

I bought a wood rasp and a 40 grit flapper wheel for mine. I have a 4 inch metal grinder and a 7" metal grinder. Dont swap disc, just toggle between the 2 units, maybe another pair for metal, ie cut off wheel and a wire wheel.

PORTER-CABLE 4-1/2 in. Dia. 6A Grinders, 2-Pack

OK, click link to see smoking deal. Dont go to the store, buy online, pick it up at the store. The store employees know nothing about it.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 22:46 - Edited by: ICC

Great deal! If I didn't already have a bunch of 4.5" grinders I'd buy at least a pair. I have 4 DeWalts and several other brands. As toyota_mdt_tech suggested, you can have different wheels mounted and swap tools instead of changing discs on one tool. Sometimes two tools with the same grit wheel but one worn to a smooth curved face instead of a more squarish edge.

-izzy

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 08:46

I also run about 4 different grinders all with a different wheel on them. I have taken to buying ridgid brand grinders so I can take advantage of there lifetime warranty.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 11:42

Quoting: Brettny
I also run about 4 different grinders all with a different wheel on them

Same here, cutoff wheel, sander, grinder..

My most used one these days is battery powered, keep it my pickup box for use on the property and cabin. Even at the house in the driveway, beats hauling and tripping over an extension cord. Never ran the battery flat yet on a task.

# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 12:20 - Edited by: 909

This cost me $99

Cordless to avoid the genny when possible.

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 19:06

Got the link for that? M18 is my cordless tool of choice.

# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 20:20 - Edited by: 909

I'm in a different country it should work for you as well. Basically you buy a promo, get the free tool , and refund your original promo.

Here's a US example :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-HIGH-OUTPUT-XC-8-0-Ah-a nd-6-0-Ah-Battery-2-Pack-48-11-1868/325472963

I bought this in Canada:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-18v-lithium-ion-extended-capacity -xc-5-0-ah-redlithium-battery-and-charger-starter-kit/1000834425

Paid 200. Got the grinder . Returned the charger and battery for $100. Kept the free tool for $99. It works and completely legal. It's also how I got my skilsaw, and reciprocating saw.

Fanman
# Posted: 19 Dec 2023 19:16

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to buy a grinder but hadn't yet, picked up the 2-pack at TSC this afternoon.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Dec 2023 08:12

Quoting: Fanman
picked up the 2-pack at TSC this afternoon.

Good deal, its hard to find the 2 pak now, limited to supply on hand, I wanted another set, gone locally.

$14.98 each is tough to beat.
$14.98 new grinder
$14.98 new grinder

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Dec 2023 12:17 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: 909
This cost me $99

Same price for 20V bare tool 4.5" Dewalt grinder.

i see the Porter Cable 20V 4.5" grinder is 49.95

I may pick one up. I am invested into Dewalt, deep in batteries and charges, so cant change battery design now.
I see Craftsman 20V cordless appears to use Dewalt batteries too. I wonder if they did that deliberatly?

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Dec 2023 13:02

Fwiw, we have the Black & Decker (orange & black color scheme) 20v leaf blower, whacker and a drill, the batteries are dismal. I got em cheap though.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Dec 2023 16:57

Quoting: gcrank1
Fwiw, we have the Black & Decker (orange & black color

I also have a couple of B&D things, been sitting by the trash can forever. The little chain saw is cool but both 18v batteries are toast, probly pre lfp…
IMG_1982.jpeg
IMG_1982.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Dec 2023 17:05

I pulled a bat-pack down back a few years intending to solder a dbl speaker wire cable to the contacts so I could 'gator clip to a 12v battery.
Then I couldnt find my 'roundtuit'......

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Dec 2023 20:50

I just picked up a 20V Dewalt 4.5" grinder today. On sale $99 at Home Depot.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Dec 2023 13:31

Quoting: gcrank1
I pulled a bat-pack down back a few years intending to solder a dbl speaker wire cable to the contacts so I could 'gator clip to a 12v battery.
Then I couldnt find my 'roundtuit'.....

Nothing better to do today at the city house today, except wait and see it the wet patch I put around the chimney holds the rain out, so I too pulled one of those packs apart. 15 batteries, I guess 1.? volt (Nicad?)

I have a box of new 3.7v 18650s, might try stacking a few of those in the case. Or I could wire and glue the top of the case to another Li tool pack..
IMG_1987.jpg
IMG_1987.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 9 Jan 2024 13:24

Quoting: paulz
I have a box of new 3.7v 18650s, might try stacking a few of those in the case. Or I could wire and glue the top of the case to another Li tool pack..

Well I rigged 5 18650s in serial, measured 19.1v. Taped em to the B&D chainsaw and it started. But as soon as I put it to a log it stopped, no power. They are new, measured about 4v each. Guess they are too weak, 3,000 Mah.
IMG_2021.jpeg
IMG_2021.jpeg

# Posted: 9 Jan 2024 16:34 - Edited by: 909

Typically power tool cells are very high drain. My guess is your 3000 mah cells can't output the amperage the chainsaw needs.

What type / brand are your 18650's ?

ICC
# Posted: 9 Jan 2024 17:16

Quoting: 909
My guess is your 3000 mah cells can't output the aperage the chainsaw needs.

That is most likely the issue. Are they laptop pulls? Most of those will be rated for low amperage discharge. If you have more of them you could try paralleling another series string of 5. Or two more strings, or.... ???

Your wires could be too small if the required amps is larger.

What was the cell configuration of the original pack? Do the cells in the original pack have numbers? You can often find data on the cell by googling he number.

Are you soldering wires to the cells? A bigger, hot iron is best as that makes the soldering go faster. Less heat gets into the cell. Use extra flux even if the solder is rosin core.

If you want good and cheap cells batteryhookup.com often has good deals.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Jan 2024 17:29

Here are the old batts and one of the 18650s. I too thought maybe the wires are too small..

Not a big deal, just something to do on a rainy day.

Thanks guys.
IMG_2020.jpeg
IMG_2020.jpeg
IMG_2022.jpeg
IMG_2022.jpeg
IMG_2023.jpeg
IMG_2023.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 10 Jan 2024 13:34

Kicking around again today in the city, I hooked the saw up to a car battery. Didn’t seem to mind only 12v and cut a piece of firewood with juice to spare.

I have a bigger 80v Li saw of course, but after 4-5 big log cuts it needs a charge, and I’m too cheap to buy a second battery, and it takes an hour of generator time to recharge. So maybe this will come in handy to finish a job. Plus I have that B&D jigsaw too..
IMG_2024.jpeg
IMG_2024.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 27 Jan 2024 21:07

Found this in my back yard yesterday, also B&D. This I could use. Works fine on a car battery but may have to break down and buy a new 19v battery for this stuff.
IMG_2087.jpeg
IMG_2087.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Jan 2024 23:08

That does look handy for those long reaches

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.