Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Building Codes Online
MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Nov 2011 20:29

I know that the mention of building codes will raise the hackles of a few, but there may be some readers who would be interested. To my mind the codes are a wealth of information to a do-it-yourself builder. Even if the structure to be built is not subject to any codes, either because it is in a rural area with little or lax enforcement or if it's because the structure is hidden away, well off the beaten path. Many of us though, do have to be concerned with codes and permits as the land we've found or want is subject to permits and codes.

I should apologize to the folks who live in Canada as my info is virtually all based on US codes. They're probably similar in CA but I don't know how different. Here in the USA most states use a variant of the IRC (International Residential Code). Each state chooses what version (year) to adopt and may choose to not select some portions. Some entire chapters may not be used, sometimes only a line or two or a paragraph here or there.

The versions for the different states are not all available online. Below are some links that will help. Most of the versions can only be read online. They are often in a protected Adobe format and can not be printed either.

This link is to the 2006 IRC for Minnesota. It is one large PDF file. It can be downloaded and can be copied and printed from.

This link is to a site with copies of the IRC for years 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012.

Both the Virginia IRC 2006 and the Virginia IRC 2009 can be viewed online in complete chapter forms. These will not print. There is a Firefox browser add on named "Down Them All" That add on will let you download the entire document in all its chapters. They still can't be copied or printed, but it is a nice easy to navigate version.

That should get anyone interested started.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 00:13

Great information! Thanks for sharing...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.