Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Web Soil Survey
MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 13:24

This is a website that uses results from years of soil surveys from across the country. Some areas are not listed as conditions can vary too much within short distances. The load bearing ability od the soil determines how well the building load will be supported, whether there is risk of settling. Some soils can provide better lateral support to piers than others. Some soils are real problems; when the clay content is high for example.

Web Soil Survey

jjpaul
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 19:52

This Soil Survey is very informative, thank you. According to the survey I have 14-25" water table November thru May. I was planning to build on concrete piers, would I be better off with gravel and concrete blocks on the surface for a 12x16? Is a water table like this a plus for a sand point? I guess a dry well is out. Thanks again.
-JJ

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 11:57

In some jurisdictions, when a soils report is required for construction of a building, the jurisdiction may waive the soils report requirement if the applicant can show enough reports from adjacent lots to show that the soil locally is consistently of a certain character. But, jurisdictions usually don't advertise that they will waive the requirement. You have to ask and be able to make your case with supporting information, which the site shown above may provide.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.