Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / country living magazines
cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 13:24

what magazines do u subscribe to?
i always purchase backwoodsmen and now i found a new and interesting magazine ...well i thought it was new as i have never seen it at the store before.it is this one-
http://www.furfishgame.com/
but i guess it has been around since 1925.
it tells all the important info u need to know about animals ways as i was browsing thru this magazine at the store-it said squirrels hang around tree tops all day eating and not having to travel far.then they tuck themselves in toward nite fall cause this is when mr.owl comes calling.
i could not read a lot of this cause i was just looking.this magazine was only 3.99$ and chalked full of info.
on hunting and fishing and trapping.
so it is going to be on my to get list next time i go to the store.
have u seen this??

countryred
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 14:46

I use to read it all the time as a kid. Very informative on the old school ways of doing outdoor things.

the new pioneer has caught my eye too

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:33

Quoting: countryred
the new pioneer has caught my eye too

yes.i have gotten a few of those issues also.
did that have a couple on the front last time and they had build there own home and it was an odd shape but they used leather straps on the house ?? is this the one??i have to go and look up the magazine and see.

Sustianusfarm
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:46

The new Puoneer caught my eye too ... That is until I noticed the price was $11.99!!! It was just full of really basic stories... Over price IMO

Malamute
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 16:07

F-F-G is usually pretty interesting. I used to buy them in the past, but am not into trapping, so ended up falling away over time. Like most magazines, they also become somewhat repetetive in time. The stories with monthly installments were good in the past.

Alaska Magazine was pretty good in the past. They had enough cabin and bush living stories to be interesting.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 16:37

Quoting: Sustianusfarm
That is until I noticed the price was $11.99

gosh.i dont think my issue cost that price.wow.
i saw some magazines today when i was looking and one was 14.99$.well i can buy a book for this price.
Quoting: Malamute
Alaska Magazine

i love that one but i could not find it today when looking.
i like to just purchase when i see them and there is interesting articles.
i am going over tomorrow to get that one i saw today-dont listen to this gary o.hee hee.
sorry its so cheap.are the F-F-G's always so cheap?? 3.99$wow.now that is one i can enjoy.
i want to kick myself in the head.once when we moved.i got rid of all my whole collection of mother earth news.i had them all.wah.makes me so sad.i dont care for the newer mother earth ones but the old ones were so great!

countryred
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 10:26

I think I paid around $11 or so. It was worth it for me , full good ideas that we can run with and shows how people are really making it work.

exsailor
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 12:25

I like the Backwoodsman. Plenty of common sense how to do things and review articles as well. They have a lot of DIY projects and reprints of old DIY stuff from the 40's and 50's magazines. I have read Backwoods Living a few times. It is kind of a spin off Mother Earth News. Fish Fur and Game is a good outdoors magazine, as you have disovered.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 13:43

I have subscribed to Cottage Life for the last 15 yrs..love it! It's a canadian magazine, hey!

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 23:18

Garden and Gun is my new favorite, a tribute to Southern living.....

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 06:06

Quoting: Borrego
Garden and Gun

havent seen this one but that about covers it all.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 08:48

I really enjoy Cabin Life. Cottage Life is great too, but costs more to mail to the U.S.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 10:44

Family Handyman - good basic things to learn or try, but repeats every so many years
CabinLife - pretty decent, but very light on content
This Old House Mag - not so great, to much product push
FineHomeBuilders - great info, indepth, pricey, great special issues

You guys mentioned a few I need to try I guess.

Old classics:
Ranger Rick
Hightlight Hidden Pictures
Old Handyman for reference on DIY projects

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jul 2012 23:11

well i got the newest issues of fun,fins and game.pretty good. a complete artilce step by step on tanning.
my sister said she is getting me a subscription to this magazine.yahoo.thank u sister.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.