Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / security systems
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:13

What do you use for a self-monitored security system?

I just had Exede satellite internet installed at my cabin and am setting up some IP cameras so I can see my cabin via the internet. Now I'm looking for a security system that I can monitor myself and arm/disarm via the internet (i.e. browser or iphone), sound a siren, notify me via SMS or email if a door/window is opened.

Would be great if it would also allow me to remotely lock/unlock a door (so I can let contractors in to do some work).

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:36

right after I posted this question, I found a product that may work

http://www.phantomlink.com/

The cabin had an existing monitored security system (with door and window sensors and a siren) but it had not been used in a while.

It seems I can hook the PhantomLink into the existing system and then I can monitor it myself. (Sounds too good to be true).

Has anyone tried this?

neb
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:58

Quoting: RedTailHawk
Would be great if it would also allow me to remotely lock/unlock a door (so I can let contractors in to do some work).

This kind of system exists but it is costly. I would bw an awesome thing to have.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 12:28 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I purchased a Eye Trax camera. I got the solar powered unit. It just mounts in a tree with solar cell and runs all year long. It is set/adjusted remotely via the internet on a control panel page. I can set ti to just motion pics only, both and time pix, it has infra red, works at night. Or I can manually tell it to take a picture to see the snow level etc. It can be set up to warn you many ways, ie a text, text with pictures, emailed picture or all 3.

I paid $1000 for it and the price has went up quite a bit since. I pay a monthly cell service and get up to 100 pictures in a billing cycle.

I had trouble with the T mobile service, was sporadic, so I took it down and converted it to AT&T.

http://www.eyetrax.net

You need good cell service. My elevation helps me out there.

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 14:03

Quoting: RedTailHawk
It seems I can hook the PhantomLink into the existing system and then I can monitor it myself. (Sounds too good to be true).

Unless I'm reading things wrong, that device will only alert you the alarm has been tripped. Someone still has to go up and shut the alarm off

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 16:01

I have also installed a wifi IP Camera that can email me when it detects motion. I suppose if the alarm is triggered and the security cam emails me a picture of the intruder, then I can forward it to the local police as I'm making the 1.5 hour drive out to the property.

I thought about putting the security system on a Belkin Wemo device so I could remotely cut power to the security system (as a means of disabling it), but it does have a backup battery that would prevent it from turning off.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.