Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Cabin plans?
greenacarina
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 19:13

I have found some plans that are exactly what I want my cabin to be -
http://www.townandcountryplans.com/sasktoon.html

Has anyone here purchased cabin plans from these guys? Are they detailed enough for a novice like me? I have built a number of smaller projects, mostly designing on-the-fly, with decent success.
The price is right, but if these plans lack in detail...I would rather spend a little more somewhere else for better plans.

Thanks.
Chris

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 00:18

I looked over their website briefly and could not find detailed examples of their plans to find out if they are complete enough for an inexperienced builder. They say you get foundation and floor plans, elevations and a section drawing. These are enough for an experienced builder to use, but if you have never worked with plans before or built any kind of light frame construction, you will probably find yourself scratching your head here and there. These plans are not instructional material for beginners, they are minimally complete plans for experienced builders.

They say there is enough for submittal for a building permit, so the basics should be there. For $25 I'd say it's worth it, but again, I haven't seen their plans.

VTweekender
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 02:46 - Edited by: VTweekender

Also, something to think about with their plans is what foundation you want, their plans do NOT come with post/pier...only concrete slab/crawlspace.

Here is a freebie, that has piers and oddly enough is put out by them... http://www.smallshelters.com/freedwnload.html ..

greenacarina
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 05:34

Well, I would think that would be an easy alteration.
I guess part of me is wondering whether I should start with a set of "plans" or just design this myself.
What I want is pretty basic. 12 x 16 to keep it under 200 sq ft and use my sheet goods efficiently.
Open floor plan with a loft overhanging the porch (and probably half of the interior space).
Construction techniques are going to be about the same for any small house/cabin. Lots of resources (books, internet) to guide me along the way. I'm doing this in small stages, so I don't have to figure it all out right up front and get it knocked out in one go.
I don't have a lot of experience, but I don't need a ton of hand-holding either. I know how to build things, I know how to use my tools.
I greatly appreciate the free download. I will look that over to get an idea what to expect from a set of $25 plans.

Thanks!

Chris

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.