Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Lamps for cabins
Fanman
# Posted: 11 Dec 2013 20:33

Now that the renovations on my cabin are mostly done, I find other things to occupy my time while I'm there. Over the years I made a few lamps from branches (mostly mountain laurel), but lately I've made more. Some are in my cabin, some are in my neighbor's cabins, and I've started selling them online. I collect the wood around the cabin (any excuse to go for a hike!), usually do the preliminary work (scraping bark, etc.) while I'm there, then I wire and finish them at home.

There are more pictures at MalcolmLaurel.com
Roots and burls
Roots and burls
Table and wall lamps
Table and wall lamps

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Dec 2013 23:20 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I made a pair of lamps from wood. I went total rustic.
lamp.jpg
lamp.jpg
cabin7.jpg
cabin7.jpg

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 11:25

Love both of your work, very nice!

Dillio187
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 12:07

nice work guys. Where do you get the lamp support, socket, and shades?

Fanman
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 12:34

The socket, etc., I get from either the local hardware store (if I'm in a hurry) or Grand Brass (better quality). Shades, any local discount store.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 15:51

I got mine online, they make kits. Depending on how tall of a lamp you wanted. I bought the shades from a local cabin store. But they have them at the kit store. Do a search for "lamp kits"

Dillio187
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 16:06

thanks again guys. A certain somebody I know needs a new night stand lamp and I think this is a great idea, and it just so happens I'll be at the cabin this weekend to harvest some materials!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 19:58 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Dillio187
thanks again guys. A certain somebody I know needs a new night stand lamp and I think this is a great idea, and it just so happens I'll be at the cabin this weekend to harvest some materials!

Dillio, this is where i got my kits from.
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/categoryB.asp?gid=1&cid=426#444
Make sure you order it with brown cord, matches the wood better. They come in white or brown.

Great time to harvest wood for projects, no leeching sap this time of the year.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Dec 2013 21:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Dillio, I found my lamp shades I bought locally at our cabin store online:
http://www.thecabinshop.com/rustic-lighting/rustic-lamp-shades/silhouette-bear-lamp-s hade.html

I paid $20 each, or $40 for the pair, these guys want almost 4 times that for one! And that is on sale!!

Here is a guy selling lamps and shades, good prices too.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lodge-lamp-shade

SandyR
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 12:07

Those are really great! Are you allowed to sell them on this site?

neb
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 18:15

Fanman
I need to check out more posts don't know how i missed this one. Those are nice and great imagination on the lamps. I like them and you could sell them.

jaransont3
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 19:17

Beautiful work. I love the "dragon" lamp.

I am curious...do you split the branch, hollow it out for the cord and glue it back together? Or do you cut a channel in the back side of the branch for teh cord and then fill it in with something?

Fanman
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 21:59

I use a variety of techniques (and tools from antique to homemade) to hide the cord... but some details are best left mysterious.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.