Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Book on dovetail cabin?
dpoisson
# Posted: 13 Mar 2014 16:05

Hi!
Is there a book out there that describes how to build a basic (16x16) hunter/trapper style cabin (no loft and a 4/12'ish sloped roof), using dovetailed notches with a given sized "beam" (beam might not be the right word here...but a 4x6 16' long piece of wood)?

I'd be very interested in learning how to complete such a project, including any and all pitfalls. Starting rows and roof framing are 2 areas where I would be puzzled.

Bonus question: Does anyone know what "notched dovetail log cabin" is in french? And is there anyone in the province of Quebec that gives classes on how to build such things?

Cheers!

Fish

Don_P
# Posted: 13 Mar 2014 21:55

There is a good description of layout and cutting of the timbers in B.A. Mackie's "Notches of All Kinds. I can't really imagine doing it in anything smaller than 6x8. If it's still of interest I have a pair of ends from a machined log project that have a nice draftstopping detail incorporated in the dovetail... one of the downsides of that joint. I modified one notch and pass log D log house to a drop in french half dovetail that was quite strong but the dovetail in that joint is entirely hidden. Not a clue on the french name, it took me three tries to get through french class and it was not because my french had improved a'tall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.