Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Cabin Construction Company -- Olympic Peninsula Washington?
therm777
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 16:44

Any one know of a contractor or company building say a 16' X 24' cabin near Forks, WA??

Thanks in Advance

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 20:08

In my experience its more important to find a local contractor, who doesn't live far, and is willing, than it is to find someone who specializes in building cabins. Cabins are just scaled down standard light frame construction, anyone can do it, it's just a matter of getting the best bid. The lowest bid isn't always the best. IMHO

therm777
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 20:20

Thanks for your suggestion!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 20:37

I found one, other side of the Cascades, but delivers in Washington.

http://alpineshed.com/

therm777
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 09:37

Thanks so much... I've got a builder here but want see if their pricing and bill of materials is reasonable and with your info it appears to be.

FYI

http://www.minicabins.com/

thanks again!

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:51

I have no experience with these premades, I wonder how the numbers compare. What will be the final cost per square foot to buy the building and have it transported and set? Of course they are convenient- you get an instant building- none of the hassles associated with planning etc. But I wonder if it is significantly cheaper to build from scrap. Probably depends on whether you build yourself or hire it out. Labor to build these premades is going to be less than the labor to build on site because they are all set up in a shop with tools and materials. Show us your math, if you don't mind.

therm777
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:55

The minicabin site is not a prebuilt and can be customized. Built ob 4" X 6" skids. I just want to know how their price compares.

The 16' X 24' is ~10,000 without windows for a 7' 6" wall with T1-11 siding and gable/composite roof so sq foot is ~ $26.

How does that sound?

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 13:42

$26 per sq ft is very inexpensive for any construction, bu does that take into account transport, assembly and footings? Also, what more will you have to add to it inside to complete the building? If you want to compare the cost of this to the cost of building from scratch, you need to consider all factors. I bet that the comparison will be fairly close, all things considered.

therm777
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 14:34

Well i am having foam insulation blown in....pricey but worth the coast 'caue I'm near the n pacific and summer temps sometimes are in the low 60's (and its a wet cold).

I'm too old to deal with wood heat (been there done that when I lived in montana).

Windows and lofting are more.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 17:43

I get about $32 psf. for a single floor cabin shell in MN. Up to $45 or more for loft style or second floor, built from scratch on site.

Owen

therm777
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 19:21

Sounds like the minicabin folks are in the ball park. They send out a 3 or 4 man crew and do the job in 3-4 days.

Thanks podner!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.