Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Sumerwood Cabins
moregon
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 10:11

Has anyone every tried one of these pre-fab kits from this company? Or know anyone who has? They are adorable!

http://www.summerwood.com/

Bancroft bound
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 20:57

Nice designs but.....
Looks a little pricey to me!

drb777
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 23:02

In preparation for my cabin build, a couple of years ago, I checked-out all of the online cabin kit designs and suppliers. As I remember, I was interested in summerwood, but eliminated them from my list because they tended towards pre-built panel designs and their seemingly high-end pricing. I ended-up buying from the large supplier to the west-euro market, Louman (Finnish & German), marketed by their US distributor, All Wood Outlet.
URL
I decided on their Lillevilla-Getaway (aka model 220) for a number of reasons, but of prime importance to me was their fully engineered, interlocking wall, stacked flat log type of design and construction.
'Lots of choices out there, a lot depends upon your budget and how much you want to be involved with the construction and finishing.

moregon
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 23:34

There are almost too many choices!

Don_P
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 00:31

What part of the picture are they providing that you value enough to pay a premium for?
I'm asking because these appear to be stick built and transport of these parts that are conventionally field framed, for any real distance, is going to add up. I'm wondering about just a detailed set of plans or is there some piece of the puzzle between there and framed assemblies that provides the value?

Pookie129
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 05:39

We ruled out summerwood based on price and product and that is how we ended up with the pod - which we are very happy with.

moregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 10:30

You have to admit, the pictures of those cabins are pretty cute which is what draws people in.

I've also looked at many plans...

What's "stick built" mean? I'm not a builder so the jargon escapes me, which is why I tend to lean towards something pre- built.

Just
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 11:08

Quoting: moregon
What's "stick built" mean?

Go buy a pile of lumber and put it together 1 stick at a time .
You should have a set of plans to work from . If you chose that rout you would need to study up on building Technics or work along side of someone with experience in building .

Don_P
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 18:30

I was mainly curious and without running a complete take-off of the parts it is hard to say what the premium is for the portion they are doing. I've put up kits that were cheaper than I could get the parts locally. Yes stick built, or conventional light frame construction... all the stuff is available at the local lumberyard. They are taking some of the skilled work out... but I think if you have the skills to put up the kit you probably have the skills to frame it.
I tend to work out framing with drawings but nothing beats modelling for easy at home learning how. Some sticks, hot glue and brads and you can build it all on the kitchen table for a dry run.
cathouse.jpg
cathouse.jpg

moregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 19:34

Thanks for the feedback!

neb
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 20:47

moregon >>>A pre-fab may be the way to go. The kit would be more costly then a stick built but if you haven't done much building it would save you time and time is money. I would look around there are different companies that do kits. Keep us posted.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 23:06

I'm going with Oregon Timberwerks. It's a small, family-run business. They fell trees from their land and mill their own boards. They have standard cabins but will do custom cabins, too, of any size. I'm working on a custom one with them. Very reasonable prices, from what I can tell.

They have their family farm and business near Eugene.

Pookie129
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 06:15

Comparatively - the prices listed on the Oregon Timberwerks site are very reasonable. I can't speak or input to their quality but based on lots of research over the past few years, these prices seem quite reasonable. Too bad the shipping would kill us, otherwise I would be considering one of their units or at least inquiring further.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.