Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Deck Flosser - Cleans out the spaces between deck boards
rockies
# Posted: 7 Jul 2015 20:42

Saw this on a cottage show. It gets the pine needles, leaves and dirt out of the spaces between deck boards. Apparently if that stuff builds up, it holds moisture between the boards and decreases the life of your deck by half.

http://mkrittenhouse.com/us/deck-flosser

murphymunday
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 09:16

Thanks for sharing! A good tool to keep around, indeed.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 14:10

The other thing you can do when building your deck is to apply roofing ice shied to the tops of the joists before you put down the decking. Moisture then can not enter through the top of the joist to rot it.

Malamute
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 01:12

Ah. I use a sawzall blade in my hand. I get rocks, dog hair and other flotsam accumulate, then a layer of dirt/sand. Its under the roof overhang though, and pretty dry climate.

I've seen the roofing paper used. It wasnt all that great. Treated lumber would be good for the frame underneath in damp climates, or roofing tar on the top of the frame.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 12:24

The ice shield is actualy a rubber like membrane.

Malamute
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 13:59

Yes, indeed it is. My reading comprehension may improve if I slept better.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.