Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Useful or favorite apperal/clothing at the cabin
morock
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 22:13

Reading a recent flooring insulation topic made me think about my favorite foot wear in the colder months at the cabin. My "hut booties". I have only 5/8 plywood with some carpets for the floor and -20's to -30C the last few winters were no problem for these tootsie warmers. I love these booties so much my wife bought me another pair for home.

Just got me thinking maybe we should have thread for great clothing.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-586/mec-hut-bootie-unisex/

I also like my hip waders when I'm removing beaver dams, but it does seem to have the same appeal as my beloved booties.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 01:01

My favourite slippers are L.L. Bean's "wicked good moccasins". I wear them all day and night. They last a long time and I always make sure I have a backup pair in the closet so that when I finally do wear them out, I don't have to wait for a new order to be mailed out to me. I wear slip-on duck boots to do my chores in the morning and for messy work outside. I have a pair of ugly-but-warm boots for the winter.

A neighbour told me it's important to have coats of various warmth when you live out here. So I have a sweater coat, a rain coat, a spring coat, a light winter jacket and a "it's seriously freezing out here" parka.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 06:55

I love L.L. Bean stuff, hattie!!! Their "duck boots" are awesome!!!

Since being diagnosed with Lupus, I have rather painful peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet, especially my toes. Gah, shoes hurt my toes. Even socks feel confining. I can't wait to put on my slippers when I come in!

I just discovered this little shoe company in Oregon, Soft Star Shoes, and I'm going to order a pair of their moccasins. If I like them as much as I think I will, I believe I'll be living in them! They're all handmade and the leather/suede hardens with wear to form a good sole.

This is the homepage. Do read the story of the company! It's really quite cool!
http://www.softstarshoes.com/

These are the moccasins I'm ordering!
http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-shoes/moccasins/adult-roo-moccasin-suede-wheat.htm l

You can also customize and design your own shoes and they will make them for you, for an additional charge.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 19:33 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My cabin apparel consist of a button up front hickory shirt, sleeves cut off to make them short sleeve, pants are Carhartt 14oz double front logger pants with ruler pocket and hammer loop in "duck brown" color and if cool outside, a Carhartt duck vest in black. Shoes are romeos or work boots. If I am not at work in my uniform, I am wearing that. You would think I have only one shirt and pair of pants. I have a closet full, just all the exact same thing.

If the wife and I go out to dinner, I will put on my best grubbies. No different, maybe a new hickory shirt with no holes in it from work/wear.

I am wearing my normal outfit as seen in the thread "pictures of you" thread.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 22:53

Carhartts for sure, green, brown or tan. Any old t-shirt or sweatshirt. For footwear either Danner boots, Xtra Tuffs, or bunny boots. Slippers inside since the bottom floor is not insulated or finished.

Simple yet ideal for any situation. 👍

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 06:17

in summer.shorts and tee shirt or capri's.
in winter.or in cold which could be every nite even in summer.i wear layered clothes.
i have one skirt.its so comfy but it catches on limbs and stumps but the day it dies i will be sad.
we tend to wear clothes till there is nothing left to them.
quite a terrible trait.i once got some sweats at the dollar store.the bottoms.i wore them to shread.then i cut them off for shorts.wore them out.then painted whilst wearing them.now they look like they should be rags...which is what will happen.
right now my shoes i wear out here are so comfy...they r full of holes and pumice.
i will duct tape them and put them away for winter.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 08:14

I have good rags (for town) and shredded things that would be honored if called rags (for the cabin).

One pair of cargo shorts, what might have been Carrhartt, or really Old Navy at one time, consist mostly of sewing stitches.

Cabi has developed the grand talent of sewing stitches on top of sewing stitches.
These cargo shorts may outlast me.
At least that's been my plan.

I wear them over my sweats on colder days.

However, sadly, I never considered such dramatic weight loss, and these, my favorite togs may very well become ankle warmers.

But

As of this very moment, gotta say, my very favorite attire is my custom made Cabi knitted onesie.

Never been so toasty warm.

hattie
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 12:34

hahahaha....cute pic GaryO. *LOL*

It is interesting to read all the comments about how people here wear out their clothing (me too). My daughter is embarrassed because I have clothes that are over 10 years old. If they aren't full of holes, I'm not going to throw them out. Jeans and a shirt are fine with me. When we occasionally need to go somewhere fancy that's when the panic sets in. I have a couple of dresses from weddings many years ago and they are in bags in the closet. Otherwise it is Walmart jeans and shirts. My coats are ancient (and one was a hand-me-down from Mom). As long as they work, who cares.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 12:43

morock those booties are on my list for the winter. thx. perfect fer dashin' thru the snow.

my personal favorite cabin clothes are long underwear. the new poly whatever long underwear is thin, light, easy to wash, lasts forever. and. keeps you warm.

i was out with some friends last winter ice fishing and they're freezing. shivering away. i'm standing around all unconcerned. did i tell them 'bout the wonders of todays high tech long underwear. he** no. i stood there calmly with them all thinkin' i was some kind of superman.

rmak
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 13:33 - Edited by: rmak

I can't believe a topic about cabin fashion got more replies than my famous thread, "Best cabin floor mat?" which only got only one sympathy response (Edit: Actually 3 sympathy responses)

All I have to add to the discussion is that I've given away or stored most of the newer fancy down filled poly outdoor clothes I accumulated over the years in favor of wool, which I buy used off ebay. I keep a Johnson Woolen Mills shirt/jac back at the cabin that works for summer night chills and autumn with a hoodie underneath. When the weather gets serious I drag my Filson double mackinaw out of mothballs. This was bought from an ebay action for about a forth of a new one.
You really can't go wrong with natural stuff. Cotton, wool, leather and rubber takes care of just about everything.

I always go for American made anything if possible.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 15:56

if you ever tip a canoe on a cold a chilly day you'll find out why the new poly whatever undergear is superior to wool.

don't get me wrong. down and wool make great outerwear for the casual set. got both.

silk if you can afford it. the best natural fabric by far. and my choice for next to my skin.

but when the what the what what hits the fan. i'll take the modern fab fabric every time.

and you while you drip off in the corner in your heavy scratchy soggy wool underwear (after you make it to shore). I'll have the fire going and continue pretending I'm super man.

another canadian creation btw.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 18:46

Well I usually get my clothes so dirty I figure why not use my rattiest clothes. But recently I outdid myself and finally actually threw out a pair of jeans. I'd had them for some time, and I wouldn't want anyone to see me in them. They had paint, pipe dope, solder flux, abs cement, pvc cement (both gray and clear, and purple of course), motor oil and smeared spray foam on them. Several belt loops broken, numerous holes wearing through on the thighs and knees. But then came the day that they ripped in the crotch. Now I don't care if no one can see me I just won't walk around in pants with a ripped crotch. With a sentimental tear in my eye I threw my old trusties in the trash. But I just can't see wearing a pair of pants for dirty work that could pass acceptably for going to the grocery store. Why ruin a perfectly good pair of ratty blue jeans?

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 21:15

i hate when i toss something out i really loved wearing but they are so horrid that they arent even worthy as a rag...and i forget and go looking for them.
only to have it hit my memory of tossing it out.agh.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 21:43

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
You would think I have only one shirt and pair of pants. I have a closet full, just all the exact same thing.

We are brothers in this. I buy a half dozen whatever I like. Never know if it'll be around next time, and saves on the confusion when opting for 'what to wear'.

upndown
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 23:00

I have a few jeans hanging in my shed, all I do is go outback and whistle and they meet me in the yard.

After I got my place, we went to the big town nearby and discovered a real gem purely by accident. A thrift store run by an animal rescue, mostly horses and larger animals. I needed some warmer work clothes so we Checked out the clothing building. Jackpot!! I filled half my closet with things from Flannel shirts to heavy coats, some still had the price tags on them all affordably priced, and proceeds going to a good cause. Win, Win.

The place has been an amazing find for other things for the cabin as well. Never ceases to amaze me what some of these horse people deem unwearable or useable.

rmak
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 01:23

Quoting: creeky
if you ever tip a canoe on a cold a chilly day you'll find out why the new poly whatever undergear is superior to wool

Tip a canoe? I'm not a Whig.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:28

Quoting: rmak
Tip a canoe? I'm not a Whig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippecanoe_and_Tyler_Too

And Tyler too?

I paid attention in history class too.

creeky
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 16:22

thx for that rmak. hilarious.

(didn't come up in my history classes. what. bein' a canuck and all. but i enjoyed every verse)

rmak
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 19:04

Quoting: creeky
bein' a canuck

With our current presidential race, consider yourself lucky!

Just
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 22:54

4 or 5 times in a lifetime a working man gets to have a bran new pair of Carrhartt insulated coveralls , it's a big deal in my circles .
I had just got my 5th pair .They could be my last was in the back of my mind the winter day I headed out to chainsaw trim a buddy's back yard forest .
Everything gets a little furry after that but I do remember coming to in the ambulance, lights and sirens blaring .

In the emergency room I was surrounded by people I knew as personal friends . The young lady doctors first order was, cut thoughts overalls off him . when I saw that nurse coming at my new pants with her scissors I got real serious .

13 broken rib ,a punctured lung ,a broken back , a torn spleen , and a concussion . I still have the Carrhartt's !!

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 05:49

Quoting: Just
13 broken rib ,a punctured lung ,a broken back , a torn spleen , and a concussion . I still have the Carrhartt's !!

Damn, Just. Knew you were a tough ol' bird, but, Damn.

Malamute
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 12:34 - Edited by: Malamute

Hmm, Carhartt pants, in various colors from the common brown work type to grey, green, black. I always cut the hammer loop off, I've hung it up a couple times on things.

Hathorn Smoke Jumper boots most of the time, or a pair of lightly insulated Danners if cold, Sorrel pacs if really cold. Slippers or beach flip flops when inside or just out feeding the birds in the morning. Carhartt shorts sometimes in the summer,...with the Hathorns of course. Theres lost of pokey, sharp, prickly things around here.

It rarely gets cold enough for the arctic weight Carhartt bibs. Have a down parka, and various vests and lighter jackets, and an Australian oilskin jacket for rain. Mostly no hat, sometimes a ball cap, sometimes if raining or snowing, a Stetson, a fur cap when its cold. Wear a silk scarf around my neck sometimes for warmth or for dress with a silver slide. Various Bean, woolrich, or Cabelas heavy chamois/flannel solid color shirts. A few wool Pendelton shirts.

"Cabin use" for me is everyday.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.