Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Looking for mini barn/shed builder recommendations in Michigan
marynmark
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 22:07

New to the forum and looking to buy a shed/cabin shell from a shed builder in Michigan and are looking for recommendations.

Would love to find one that is okay with customization, as the cabin will have to meet full-time cabin living. We don't have any locally, so we want to get an idea of some recommended ones before we hit the road to visit them. Thanks!

brooksm29
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 22:27

Mast Mini Barns(Amish) in Holton Michigan is good. They stage their prototypes all over West Michigan. Most Amish communities have a shed/building builder and I know they do custom work. Where are you looking to build in Michigan? My cabin is about 1 hr North of Grand Rapids.

marynmark
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 16:10 - Edited by: marynmark

Tip of the mitt, unfortunately no Amish up this way that I know of. Thanks for the recommendation.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 16:24

The "Best Barns" that Home Depot sells are kits and you can get the size you need and customize them as they are built. The roof trusses do meet IBC building code and are engineered for 30 pounds/sq. ft. snow load and 90 mph winds. They happen to be manufactured very close to where I grew up. That website has the truss drawings and engineers stamp for Pennsylvania and Ohio.

http://barnkits.com/

I was thinking of going this route initially. You buy the kit and then Home Depot actually delivers the lumber and such that's included in the price to you. So, the prefab portions and other things come in the kit from the manufacturer and then Home Depot fulfills the rest of the supplies. You could build it yourself or hire people to do it for you. I saw a question about drawings and codes and apparently that information is available by calling the company.

Just a thought if you can't find what you want locally!

brooksm29
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 22:36

I was in Petosky last weekend. There was a small mini barn/shed prebuilt place just north of Petosky, on 31. I just remembered that and thought maybe you could start there. The prebuilt cabins looked really nice but the boss wouldnt let me go look at them. She said we were in a hurry...lol.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.