Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Water Storage Info
rockies
# Posted: 18 Apr 2016 22:28

http://www.backwoodshome.com/water-a-safe-supply-when-youre-off-the-grid/

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Apr 2016 14:33

What he describes is adding an ultraviolet light setup to purify water. I've seen several other similar articles where the person seemed to have designed their system themselves. So I wonder if a water purification system will work if not correctly designed- it's a lot more complicated than just adding UV. The water has to have a certain amount of particulates removed before the UV treatment or the bacteria are shaded by the particulates, the water needs to be exposed to the UV for a certain length of time, sometimes the bacteria can bypass the UV when it is turned off but flow continues for a split second, etc.

There is an ANSI standard for UV purification systems, but reading ANSI standards is for engineers.

So anyway I don't want people to get the idea that you can just buy a UV light, plumb it into any water system and your water is safe. Probably the best thing to do is talk to your local health dept. and see what kind of systems they will approve. Beyond that, you're relying on the manufacturer's info which may or may not be the best. A UL listing would inspire confidence, but remember that UL only asserts that a product does as claimed when installed per the conditions described. As soon as you monkey with the setup, you're on your own.

Relying on surface water is risky cause deer don't care where they poop. I just got over a bout of stomach flu myself and I'm not anxious for a repeat performance. Be careful.

creeky
# Posted: 20 Apr 2016 16:47

the UN has a great report on off grid water. might want to google that.

basically it relies on 50 lbs of sand as a filter. Just has a great diagram and pics of his set up into a 50 gal cistern.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Apr 2016 19:34

Quoting: bldginsp
Relying on surface water is risky cause deer don't care where they poop. I just got over a bout of stomach flu myself and I'm not anxious for a repeat performance. Be careful.

Yeah, you know, I guess that's what I find so interesting about the whole government freak-out over septic system installation. Because a person could spend many thousands of dollars on dealing with human waste while animals carrying who-knows-what kind of parasites and diseases are frolicking about, pooping with abandon, and potentially contaminating poor soils that don't have much vegetation as a filter.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Apr 2016 08:59

Yes, but the animals spread it out over a large area, whereas we generally stay put, so our waste accumulates. That's why rats are so bad- they stay in one place and their waste accumulates. Not that I'm comparing rats and humans.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Apr 2016 16:50

LOL, yeah, in some cases, that does a grave injustice to rats.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.