Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Under Cabinet Trays
rockies
# Posted: 18 May 2016 19:49

What a great way to get more storage in an area most people never think of using.
FH09MAY_CABDRA_01.jp.jpg
FH09MAY_CABDRA_01.jp.jpg
Pantry_Storage6.jpg
Pantry_Storage6.jpg
43a5edd0.jpg
43a5edd0.jpg
a2312fb3.jpg
a2312fb3.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 18 May 2016 22:32

These are great ideas! One can never have enough storage space it seems. I really like the look of the last one!!

I have my measuring spoons hung on the inside of a cabinet door. It just makes it easier to find them. I also have some cheat sheets posted inside the doors (measurements conversions, etc.). I have a similar set-up as the second last one only mine holds the lids to my pots.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 18 May 2016 23:25

Hi Hattie. I have a small kitchen and use these pockets to store my frequently used recipes.
I also have cooking tables for certain food items and a list of how long to keep kitchen stables taped inside my cabinets.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rockies
# Posted: 19 May 2016 23:36 - Edited by: rockies

I tend to like logical storage solutions. Putting slide out drawers under your base cabinets to me is a logical place to put more storage. Everyone has cabinet bases but few people think to put the baking trays or other seldom used items down there. I've even seen a small step ladder stored in the toe kick area of a cabinet. Likewise with fold down trays under the upper cabinets. It's convenient for storing knives and other flat things and doesn't take up much depth.

To better incorporate the idea in the last picture I would install the base cabinets 4-6 inches out from the wall (use a frame of 2x4 braces behind the cabinets to screw them to the wall). Use a regular depth countertop and a filler piece of plywood on top of the cabinets between the back edge of the countertop and the wall. When you put the storage bins on top of the filler piece of countertop you'll never see it and you'll still have a regular depth countertop in front of the storage bins.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 May 2016 07:05

Too low and too high for storage are problematic because they lend themselves to injury from deep bending or high reaching. Especially for older or disabled people. but it can happen to anyone. I try to keep things within easy reach and am trying like mad to keep/choose furnishings, storage, and other things that serve more than one purpose as much as possible. It's hard!

I have SO MANY kitchen gadgets. Yikes. Mostly because I love to cook and I really do use them all but it's ridiculous. I have a lot of cabinets in my current kitchen but, even so, the bottom ones are so deep that I've literally "fallen over and couldn't get up" when trying to find a particular pot or pan.

When my husband was still alive, he also loved to cook and we had a grid with hooks attached to a wall in our kitchen near the stove from which we hung our skillets, pans, and some shallow pots. It was very convenient.

I likely won't have a wall available to do that but some metal pot racks in various sizes and shapes suspended from the ceiling seem to be popular nowadays. I like that idea. Does anyone here use one of those? I'm wondering how sturdy and balanced they are!

hattie, I love your measuring spoons idea! I'm forever digging for those and you've solved the problem! Where do you keep your measuring cups? I can't seem to find a good place for those, either. I started using a 2-cup glass one simply because it's easier to locate, lol, but it's certainly not as precise when it comes to third- and fourth-cups as the actual small ones.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.