Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / The Ultimate Guide To DIY Off Grid Solar Power
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 5 Jun 2016 18:21

This is the best video that I have come across that clearly explains a small off grid solar system very well. Seems to cover everything and easy to understand. The system in the vid is a 400w system using Renogy products and 4 6v batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qcoEXYqK0

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Jun 2016 16:09 - Edited by: MtnDon

Not to criticize you ChuckD, but I have an issue with some of the info in that video. I didn't have 47 minutes to watch the entire thing. However, when I fast forward clicked here and there something interesting came up at 38:22, talking about a PV panel disconnect. The guy shows he used an outdoor box normally used for a "spa". It's a Square D product. He doesn't get into differentiating between DC and AC devices. While the Square D QO line can be used for some DC uses there are voltage limits, which he skips over.

Ditto a few seconds later when he shows his indoor disconnect. That one is an AC only product by the looks of it. Repeated use may cause early erosion of the copper contacts caused by the DC arcing.

A much better method is to use Midnite Solar enclosures and the MNEPV breakers which are rated to 150 VDC and do not require the amps to be de-rated like many other breakers.

When I see one thing I know is not 100% correct it casts suspicion on the balance of the info. So, IMO, NOT the ultimate guide. It can be very difficult to separate the good info from the so-so and the so-wrong.

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jun 2016 18:01

As soon as I saw the name Renogy I began to laugh.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.