Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Details to Watch to Prevent Cement Fiber Lap Siding Failures.
MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 00:06

I thought this was timely as the subject of failed cement fiber board came up a short time ago in another thread.

Good article from JLC. Poor installation techniques can wreak havoc with cement fiber board. Done correctly it is great stuff. I'm still glad I used it. I did read the manufacturers information thoroughly and followed the detail instructions.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Jun 2016 01:42 - Edited by: bldginsp

Very timely for me Don as I'm having Hardi put onto my cabin right now.

The contractor had an interesting suggestion. Perhaps the worst area of exposure for this kind of siding is wherever it butts against siding. The caulk joint will invariably fail, some moisture gets in, failure can result. So, what he does is to apply double trim vertically. First he applies a trim board the same thickness as two thicknesses of overlapping siding. Then he installs the siding, butted to the first trim. Then he applies a second vertical trim over the first, and overlapping the siding, leaving a 'shadow detail' in the triangles beneath the lower lip of each plank. Thus effectively the but joint is covered.

Something similar has often been done with shiplap siding in the past. I never liked it because I don't like to see holes- it looks unfinished to me. Also with wind, water can blow into the holes defeating the purpose. Or you can buy 10 cases of caulk and fill them all.

I opted not for this alternative, and told him to just butt to the trim, but to paint the cut ends of siding as he installs. I guess that is the best insurance against the water absorption that eventually degrades the integrity of the cement/fiber compound.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Jun 2016 03:59

MtnDon
Very interesting article! It had me staring at my shed, wondering what went wrong, lol. No matter, it's just a shed, no water is getting in and I'm leaving it behind. I remedied the bits that were rotting.

It doesn't make me want to rush to have it installed on a cabin I buy as I'd have to ensure whoever installed it took all sorts of precautions but I really appreciate this information for future reference!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.