Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Everybody Loves a Top ten List, don't they?
MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 00:11

Top 10 Code Violations

Even those who believe codes are just bureacratic intrusions could learn a little about why certain code items make sense. Pardon the editorializing.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 06:48

As an electrical contractor of over 13 years and an electrician for almost 20. I can tell you I've seen my share of code violations! And some very serious and scary ones especially when it comes to structural framing and electrical by homeowners that watch way to much HGTV and Youtube!
BUT codes are written by lawyers, manufactures and engineers, most that have never had any hands on experience and it also to how one interprets some codes. I have had many "debates" with inspectors. Things are not black and white there are some gray zones out there.
But the top 10 you listed are pretty darn clear!!

Don_P
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 07:32 - Edited by: Don_P

I've seen and created a few violations too I'd agree with most of that, you might be surprised at how and who writes codes though. Those people are certainly there, so are you and I if we want to be. I know a few of those engineers and I wouldn't say they have no practical experience, I have none of their experience, they often see more failures in a year than I do in a lifetime.

I'm getting ready to go do another day of blocking today. They are not real happy with me right now. Trades complained about having to drill so much and through so much, the clients are kind of hostage, paying for me to make his life hard and paying him because I made his life hard, I'll ride the drill before its done I'm sure. The old frame has "chimneys" all through it. A mouse or flame could pretty much run freely within the walls and floors.

rmak
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 10:54

I've been on both sides of building codes. Since our home is 140 years old, we've had to correct issues from before codes were in place so I know their importance.

However, when we put our addition on, the excellent builder who was recommended to us said the only way he would work in our county is if I secured the permits. I realized during the process that the permit inspectors were all jerks (I have edited this description to be appropriate). The most unfriendly, unhelpful, rude and obnoxious people I have ever come into contact with. They rubber stamped their buddies plans in front of me without looking, but refused my builder's plans without cause and demeaned me in public without cause.

I can see why people just circumvent the process and do work without permit or inspection if they are treated this way. The irony is that this department probably causes much more unsafe building by their attitude. These people are supposed to be public servants.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 18:32

Rmak- what you describe is a worst case scenario building department and shouldn't be tolerated. The building code itself holds department officials harmless in the course of their duties EXCEPT in any instance of malicious behavior. Sounds like it would not be hard to document maliciousness with your tribe of bozos. Maybe you are not willing to lead the charge, but a conversation with a local newspaper editor or county supervisor or prosecutor might be in order.

The worst thing in public service is when the government employees get a sense of entitlement and then think they can do anything. A few good prosecutions should shake that up.

Don_P
# Posted: 20 Jun 2016 22:35

I was thinking the same thing. Start with a polite chat with the county administrator.

rmak
# Posted: 21 Jun 2016 09:40 - Edited by: rmak

I did just that Don. I went right from the permit office to my county administrator's office after a particularly bad go round with the inspectors and made a formal complaint. I was assured the issue would be addressed.

Obviously it was addressed. I was treated even worse in my following dealings. Documents I submitted were "lost" or I was told I did not submit them. It was their word against mine, and my guess is that everyone in the office would say it was my fault. Every delay put any work on further hold. I was made to get approval from an architect for a very minor change on the drawing submitted. Our builder just shook his head. He couldn't believe it. This cost me a lot of $$ and significant delays.

In the meantime my family was living in a construction zone. At one point we had to climb a ladder upstairs from the outside to get to our one usable bathroom. I just gave up and ate their crap so we could get our lives back to normal.

I didn't go the newspaper route. There have been plenty of complaints in the letters to the editor section. None of it did any good. There is obviously money or politics involved that took priority over anything else.

I know that when I labored for a concrete company when I was in college the owner of the company and the inspector would take a "walk" when the inspector arrived on site. I always assumed money exchanged hands because the inspector never really inspected anything. He just got back into his truck and left. Maybe that's what I was supposed to do, slip them a few hundred bucks. Maybe I wasn't picking up on the signals.

Anyhow, it's over 10 years ago. Nothing to be done now. I want everyone to know that this is not the norm. I have helped people with their home projects in surrounding counties and permits and inspections were very quickly, very professionally dealt with. I know you guys here are straight up. Just be aware that this stuff does go on and it's hard for a normal guy to deal with.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Jun 2016 14:33 - Edited by: bldginsp

Here in California, for whatever reason, you just don't see that kind of thing at all, with a few rare exceptions. The "culture" of building code enforcement in general on the west coast is very aware of public service and ethical behavior. But I have heard nightmare stories about some building departments east of the Mississippi, mostly large cities, where the behavior is unbelievable. Payola flying all directions and a seeming disregard for the basic mission of life, health and safety. Not to disparage every building department east of the Miss, but in some of the older cities with entrenched political interests the shenanigans in the building departments are probably the tip of the iceberg.

In situations like that, it's easy for armchair pundits such as myself to tell someone to bust the thieves and liars, but when the authority over the building department is in cahoots with them it's going to take a lot more than a few bright-eyed idealists with a sense of righteous indignation to overtake a cynical and corrupt system where they are laughing at your innocence. Where's Elliot Ness when you need him?

rmak
# Posted: 21 Jun 2016 18:10

Could it be the threat of earthquakes in California? The fear of litigation if there was faulty (no pun intended) construction would be sobering, particularly if graft or politics was the reason.

Here in Ohio if a building falls it would mean just one less Buckeye. Not that big of a deal.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.