Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Prepping for an EMP or Solar Flare
<< . 1 . 2 .
hattie
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 10:29

Regarding AED's....At about 5:57 am this morning we were awakened by a neighbour's wife. Her husband was in cardiac arrest. We rushed over with the AED and from that time until 6:17 when paramedics arrived we did compressions (a volunteer firefighter neighbour also arrived) and used the AED. I shocked the patient 5 times. Unfortunately he did not survive (paramedics called it at 6:47) but at least we did our best to try to save him. He was getting compressions from the moment the firefighter arrived (about 10 minutes before me). It was a sad outcome, but again I will say - EVERY cabin needs to have a home defibrillator!

beachman
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 14:21

Good advice from many people here. I couldn't agree more that you must be able to rely on yourself and if you get help - it's a bonus. The comment about the lady advising who to survive an earthquake reminds me of the special preparations we went through in grade school outside of Boston in the late 50's early 60's for a potential nuclear attack - pretty lame.

darz5150
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 22:53

@ hattie.
When I posted yesterday that I remembered your story from years ago, I didn't mention your name out of respect for you and your husbands privacy. I was glad when you quickly posted that it was you, and how being prepared saved your husband. I am sorry about what you had to go through today.
Its been bugging me all day, and I wouldn't be able to sleep tonite if I didn't take a minute to say that your neighbors are very blessed to have people like you, your husband and the fireman that helped out when needed, to have you as people in their community!! Good people are hard to find these days.. And you are Good People!!! Stay Strong!

hattie
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 00:52

Thanks darz5150. It's been a pretty rough day.

rockies
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 20:51

One great source of info is the US military. Look in Google for "department of the army TM 5-690" for their technical manual for grounding devices to protect them from an EMP or lightning attack.

There is also an excellent article at:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.