Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / New Solar Thermal Water Purification Technology
rockies
# Posted: 2 Mar 2017 20:09

http://www.treehugger.com/solar-technology/system-can-purify-2000-liters-clean-water- day-solar-thermal-energy.html

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 11:23

Interesting idea, it took a while to read through their technical jargon to figure out what they are doing. Basically they are using liquid-based solar collectors- like for a swimming pool, but more efficient- to create heat, then using that heat with modern technology to accomplish a variety of tasks, primarily heating and cooling, electricity production, and/or water purification.

Sounds great but it is largely speculative at this point. The cost numbers they present are impossibly optimistic (1/5 the cost of fossil fuels) and based upon their 'models'.

But it makes sense from the perspective that we now have very advanced heat usage technologies like very efficient heat pumps etc. Solar heat collectors will collect much more energy than photovoltaic panels, and the panels will cost less. But the energy is in the form of heat- so the question is- can you effectively convert that heat into other energy forms or use it effectively in a cost efficient way.

Worth keeping an eye on, but I'll believe it when I see it, and giving us pie in the sky promises like they do on their website, frankly, puts me to sleep.

rockies
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 18:28

Well, I think it's a promising first step. I remember when VCR's first came out and they cost $1100. Who'd buy that? Now it's obsolete.

Like most technologies as they become more mainstream the pricing drops and the quality goes up. Look at solar batteries. For years it was just one kind available but now it's lithium, salt water, etc. This technology may actually perform at the levels they suggest someday but they're off to a good start.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.