http://waterbuckpump.com/solar-buck/

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 18:01

Combine it with this?

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/power-it-li-ion-battery-generator/6000192325762

On clearance for $224 at a few remaining Walmarts

creeky
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 10:27 - Edited by: creeky

Geez. Even at 450 that's a pretty good deal for a small camp. There's one in CareltonPlace and one in Kemptville. Grab one!

The cart. Um. Er. Not my cup of tea.

Islandlife
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 11:08

I can't afford a solar panel system this summer so am planning on using my Honda 2000w generator. I am not crazy about the generator running in the evening though. Could I charge the Walmart product during the day while the generator is running and powering the cottage through the breaker panel and then use this to feed the breaker panel for the evening and night? I would only have intermittent use of LED lights (no large draws) during the evening.

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 11:46

50/50 chance its a dud as per reviews

creeky
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 21:34

The inverter is not so good. But the battery is pouch cell lithium. When the inverter goes, buy a morningstar inverter and keep the battery.

244. For a 1kw lithium. Not bad.

Add a solar panel and a charge controller. Less than a thousand for a pretty trick system. You know. For a shed in a field. Or a tent at the camp.

Probably beats listening to the genny.

Islandlife
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 09:23 - Edited by: Islandlife

Picked one up. Will see how it works.

Not the best made product (China) but will try it at home first.

Looks like a decent deal for small loads if it works properly

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 09:40

Selling for $224 in stores near me but stock is very limited. Tempting but too many other things going on.

Islandlife
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 12:31

Used the "power it" from Walmart all of last summer for power in the evenings at our cottage. Worked well for a few LED lights and a small night light for my daughter. The one challenge we had was the long length of time it took everyday to get it back to 80-100% charge with out Honda generator. Would a 12 volt marine battery or 2 6 volt batteries charge faster with our iota charger? We would then need a inverter as well.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 13:07

Generators are lousy for charging batteries up to 100% because the absorb charge takes so long with lead-acid. They are better suited for the bulk charge stage; getting to almost full. Even a small amount of solar is great for the slow absorb.

What Iota charger do you have? One with the IQ4 either built in or as the little plug in thing? The IQ4 makes it act like a multi-stage charger. Without the IQ4 it takes even longer.

The slowness to reach full charge is the fault of the lead-acid chemistry. Just the nature of the beast. Their internal resistance makes the final charging slow. I assume that unit has a lead based battery. So changing batteries to another type of lead acid won't change the slow finish to the charge. You could have more capacity though and if this is a weekend deal you could haul the larger battery home and charge it on grid power.

Lithium do charge much faster without the need for an absorb or float charge. More money for certain, but less hassle.

Islandlife
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 13:37

Thanks ICC. I think it is the 30 amp charger with the plug in IQ4. I tried charging the power it box with a 40 Watt panel and it would only start charging when in direct sun. 90% of the time it would not start charging the box.

We have a marine battery set up with the 40 Watt panel and cheap charge controller (Canadian tire special) currently only running our 12 volt fan on the composting toilet. It's worked well. We are only there weekends with a couple week long stays each summer.

This year we will also use it for our shurflo water pump. Maybe I should just get an inexpensive inverter(any recommendations?) and go with that that until we can afford a larger system? Eventually would like to run more lights, fridge, ceiling fan, charging but that will be for another year.

spoofer
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 19:06 - Edited by: spoofer

I use a 100 watt panel hooked up to 2 six-volt batteries. It works great! Tons of power even for a small 19 inch tv. I do run led lights of the 12v outlet on the voltage controller for lighting. It is super efficient. Unfortunately northern NY gey little sun.

Islandlife
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 21:25

Thanks spoofer. This may be the way to go for now until I can invest in a larger system. I appreciate your response

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.