Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Densglass Exterior Sheathing
rockies
# Posted: 5 Apr 2017 19:41

A better choice than OSB. Highly mold and moisture resistant.

http://www.buildgp.com/densglass-fiberglassmat-sheathing

Also, an alternative to the ZIP sheathing system.

http://www.buildgp.com/denselement-barrier-system

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Apr 2017 00:00 - Edited by: bldginsp

But it has no shear value- or very little, so it's not a replacement for OSB or plywood on the exterior of wood framing. It's a skin for steel/concrete buildings that don't need shear paneling.

Dens makes a lot of interesting stuff- Denssheild which is gyp Board with a waterproof fiberglass facing which can be used to apply tile onto directly in showers. Also Densarmor which is not waterproof but highly water resistant- it can be installed before the building is tight to the weather and will withstand some rain and exterior moisture. I'm using it in my cabin because it will not be heated for long periods and regular drywall sometimes suffers from humidity in unconditioned spaces.

But I don't see a use for Densglass in small buildings, except for the exterior of buildings like timber frame, pole barns or metal buildings where you don't use metal siding. Even then it will be problematic because you can't nail siding to it. Or I suppose you could but the nails would loosen if they land in the gyp only. All fasteners for any exterior finish must go through the Dens into the framing behind.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Apr 2017 10:01

A week or so ago there was a location in TX that had some 95 mph straight line winds. Homes there had been made with those foam panels for exterior sheathing. Many of them were pushed akilter because the walls had insufficient shear strength. Some were left leaning, others came apart and fell down. We know how to build walls that will keep OSB dry. We know OSB gives great sgear strength if kept dry. It is interesting to see technical developments but I will not be a guinea pig.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 18:22

This is probably an improvement for EIFS and nothing else.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.