Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / How it Works: Collar and rafter Ties
rockies
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 19:47

Fine Homebuilding Article

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2013/11/07/how-it-works-collar-and-rafter-ties?source =w2999enl&tp=i-H43-BC-3pE-CsRr4-1o-7GWL-1c-CsKKT-6Q0Nr&utm_campaign=fine-homebuilding -eletter&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fhb_eletter&cid=14708&mid= 190292822

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 22:36

Rockies, does the collar and rafter ties in my container roof look adequate.
P1020873.JPG
P1020873.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 19 Aug 2017 23:47

FWIW, if anyone is going to use the photo as something to duplicate, the plumb cut rafters ends should have full contact with the sides of the ridge board. Even inserting a 2x4 to fill the space would be better than leaving the heels unsupported or open. The drawing rockies linked to shows what the ridge to rafters ends should look like. That helps prevent stress cracks along the grain lines from forming, which will weaken rafters. It would be better to have the points unsupported than the way it is. As shown it is a fail where I am.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.