Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Small Log Cabin Plan Ideas
msjdw
# Posted: 22 Jan 2018 11:28 - Edited by: msjdw

Like most people on this website, I have wanted to build a log cabin for a very long time!

I helped a friend of mine build a small 20x20 cabin a few years ago so I know what's involved

I have recently purchased a small plot of land in Montana and I'm now looking for cabin plans. I want to build a small 20x20 cabin with 2 bedrooms and a living area.

I've read motherearthnews and then visited log cabin plans.

Does anyone have any other resources for small cabin plans?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 27 Jan 2018 17:58

I own this book and its a good one:

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Alaska-Log-Home-Walker/dp/088240511X

I also fell in love with this couple in their cabin story (and based off the recommended book).

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Feb 2018 14:06

Two bedrooms and living space in that small of a cabin will be pretty cramped. It could work, but will be cramped. I lived a couple years in a 16x24, it was one room other than a bathroom, and was a decent size being open inside. I thin it would get tight with rooms splitting it up.

Do you have regular need of 2 separate bedrooms? Will there be a bathroom inside?

There are quite a few older cabin books, few have what may be termed formal plans, perhaps ideas. Conrad Meinekes cabin book and Calvin Rutstrums The Wilderness Cabin are both good on general cabin construction ideas, and some useful concepts, like having the door on an end rather than side wall, and simple extending the roof line out to cover the porch area. You end up not having to really build and attach a separate porch, and roof runoff doesnt come down over the entry area if you dont do a porch on the side, or ice forming by the door. Theres no valleys in the roof as needed for a built on dormer roof for doorway protection, or a pitch break in the roof for a side porch. The end door and extended roof line for porch is my favorite small cabin layout.

The cabins Ive built didnt have plans (or anything on paper at any point), just concepts. Mainly just a picture I wanted to basically emulate. One in Cache Lake Country by John Rowlands, and one if Rutstrums cabinbook.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.