Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Very Small Direct vent Propane Wall Heaters
rockies
# Posted: 9 Feb 2018 19:37

Finally! A small direct vent heater for a smaller room or cabin.

http://www.rural-energy.net/catalog/products/products.php?subcat_id=118

Popeye
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 09:30

Finally? DV wall heaters have been available for quite a long time.

Nate R
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 09:35

Williams brand also makes some DV wall heaters that don't require electricity.

The downside to these is they often aren't super efficient. But, for off-grid heat, they seem like an ideal solution for when the wood stove goes out overnight or something like that. I'm planning on having one in our build.

rockies
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 19:38

Popeye: Yes, but usually in the 10 - 20000 BTU range. it's nice to find a unit using less than 10000 btus for a room.

Nate R
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 23:35

Rockies, good point about the BTU range.
But, also, that's INPUT BTUs. They don't tell you the heat output in the brochure or the manual, which is a shame. How can you do heat load calculations if you don't know the BTU output of the heater!?

The Williams at least publish that.
https://www.williamscomfortprod.com/product/direct-vent-furnaces/

Their 14,000 BTU model has an output of 9,800 BTU, and their 22,000 BTU puts out 16,460. So, about 70 and 75% efficiency.

I've seen some RV heater units that are only 50-55% efficient, so I'd be curious about the actual heat output of that 8K BTU unit into the room. Is it 4K BTU or 6? Or worse?

KinAlberta
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 08:44 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: Popeye
Finally? DV wall heaters have been available for quite a long time.

I think it’s clear that the original poster understood that ”DV wall heaters have been available for a long time”. The key word in the post was “small”, and “very small” in the title of the thread.

The point as explained above was that apparently a “small”, under 10,000 DV wall heater hasn’t been available.

Just thought I’d better clarify this before other posters respond with the same sort of seemingly or potentially challenging, contradicting, terse or condescending reply. Though I guess 10,000 BTU could be seen as “small” and “very small” by some people with less experience with smaller cabins.

My first thought was that this might be superior option for some larger cabins to to a large central DV heater. Installing two or three of these smaller units around the perimeter of the cabin might prevent the cold spots a large central unit might not otherwise cure without fans of ducting. Any significantly worse efficiency though migh be an issue.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 08:53

Martin has been making these for a long time: http://www.bismar.com/en/produits.php?cat_id=21

KinAlberta
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 09:03

Quoting: KelVarnsen
Martin has been making these for a long time: http://www.bismar.com/en/produits.php?cat_id=21

And the small 8,000 BTU unit seems very comparable. Non-electric?

(The larger ones look nice with the little flame windows.)

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 09:46 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

Quoting: KinAlberta
Non-electric?

Yes. They are non-electric. "Propane Direct Vent Heater, 100% Safety, No electricity required, Piezo ignition, thermostatic for commercial use, residential, cottage, workshop and/or garage. 8,000 Btu".

I bought the 11,000 BTU model with the flames about a year ago but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. It is high on my project list for this spring. Too many other jobs last year ended up bumping it down the list. I've unboxed the unit and it seems very well built.

Jebediah
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 19:43

Thanks Rockies, now I can put my Mr buddy heater away.....

Wilbour
# Posted: 14 Feb 2018 04:24

I put an Ashley in my cabin last fall but it got too cold too fast in my area so I haven't been back since. Hope to make use of it this Spring!

Creeky put one of those Martin units with the window in this fall as well. He claims the flame show is nothing sort of watching 6 tea light candles burn.

Nice to have heat without fumes, although I still us my Buddy heater to get the cabin up to temperature when I first arrive.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.