Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / FastenMaster TimberLok Screws to Connect Roof Trusses to Walls
rockies
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 20:09

This article in Fine Homebuilding discusses how you can save time by replacing hurricane straps with these screws for a code compliant method of attaching roof trusses or rafters to the top plate of a wall.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/01/20/fastenmaster-at-the-international-builders -show

https://www.fastenmaster.com/product-details/timberlok-heavy-duty-wood-screw.html

snobdds
# Posted: 20 Apr 2018 11:51 - Edited by: snobdds

These screws are one of the best new products for production and DIY building in the last 5 years...

I use the crap out of these...Compression and shear capabilities in one package.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Apr 2018 23:14

Quoting: snobdds
These screws are one of the best new products for production and DIY building in the last 5 years...

Agreed, ledger locks, timberlox, several names for them. All meet code. I love them. In fact, headed to cabin tomorrow, adding gussets onto my 4X4 post over container at 2 sides to shore it up for high winds. Using timberlocks to secure it.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Apr 2018 08:31 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A few months back a thread here discussed sheathing over an existing roof and someone mentioned the code requirements may only allow using nails and not screws.

So if someone can use screws for rafter ties why apparently not for sheathing? Maybe I’m wrong, Bob here says use screws and caulking on sheathing.

Roof Sheathing - Bob Vila
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/490-strengthen-roof-sheathing/

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Apr 2018 18:53

I love these and use 'em both in the construction business and on my cabin and home.....what a great concept!

ICC
# Posted: 22 Apr 2018 21:02

There are several varieties of these, headlok, timberlok, ledgerlok.... The main thing that sets them apart from the run of the mill screw is that these---Lok screws have all been tested. There is data available to the lbs of force that is needed to shear these off. Most other screws have no testing, no rating. Many of the screws used by the diy folks have low shear strength. If used for something structural like wall or roof sheathing they may snap with an applied lateral force. Nails are made of ductile steel and will bend a lot long before shearing off.

So while screwing wall or roof sheathing may supply increased pull out resistance the shear strength is a fail. An an excellent nail to use for sheathing would be a spiral shank nail. They have better pull out resistance than ring shank as if a ring shank does pull a little it tears the wood fibers that mesh with the rings and then slips like a smooth shank nail.

There are other screws that have approvals for structural purposes. Simpson has some for use with their hurricane and other tie braxkets for example. They all cost more than nails. Sometimes they make a lot of sense to use. Other times not so much. However if the screw is not structurally rated there are risks that may make their use foolish.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Apr 2018 23:06

Probably all cheap in comparison to the far less lasting materials that go into houses when finished. Thousands of dollars, if not insane amounts of money go into window coverings, appliances, etc that only last a decade or do and then get replaced. Yet people quibble over a few hundred bucks here or there on the construction of a house.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.