Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Traeger Wood Fired Pellet Grill
rockies
# Posted: 4 May 2018 20:56

I saw this on an infomercial. I'm considering building a summer kitchen but don't want a big monster wood stove or a dinky charcoal grill either. Anyone used one?

https://www.traegergrills.com/renegade-pro.html

Princelake
# Posted: 5 May 2018 14:06

They have these at my local building supply store and they do contractor appreciation days to try and promote these. The meat that comes off those is amazing. I just can't bring myself to buying one.

rockies
# Posted: 5 May 2018 18:13

From the infomercial I liked their statement that you can put the food inside and walk away while it cooks. They did that with a whole chicken for over an hour and when they came back it was perfectly cooked.

Other than an open wood fire or charcoal, how many other options are there for outdoor cooking? Propane? Maybe natural gas. I do like the pellet idea, and their website says they deal with over 7000 retailers from coast to coast so supply shouldn't be an issue. I also like that you can set the temperature on the grill.

darz5150
# Posted: 5 May 2018 22:19 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: rockies
you can put the food inside and walk away while it cooks.

Sounds sorta like the Show Time Rotisserie....or an oven ....or a microwave. "Set It and Forget It!"
Not dissing on the grill. But at least for me when grillin' or whatever. Half the fun is doing the actual cookin' myself. Not to mention dealing with the "occasional" flare up and losing some un necessary knuckle hair, or an eyebrow! Lol.😢
Yup. No automatic grill can replace that feeling you get, when the whole tribe is yellin' "we're starving!" Then you can say "Come and Get It!" while holding a cold beer bottle where your eyebrow used to be!!

Gary O
# Posted: 6 May 2018 01:39

Quoting: darz5150
Half the fun is doing the actual cookin' myself. Not to mention dealing with the "occasional" flare up and losing some un necessary knuckle hair, or an eyebrow! Lol.😢 Yup. No automatic grill can replace that feeling you get, when the whole tribe is yellin' "we're starving!" Then you can say "Come and Get It!" while holding a cold beer bottle where your eyebrow used to be!!

saved me some keystrokes

NorthRick
# Posted: 6 May 2018 13:24

Quoting: rockies
I saw this on an infomercial. I'm considering building a summer kitchen but don't want a big monster wood stove or a dinky charcoal grill either. Anyone used one?

https://www.traegergrills.com/renegade-pro.html

I have not used one (I'm in the same camp as darz5150 and Gary O) but I have several friends that swear by them. If you like to cook and eat a lot of smoked meat while still getting chores done, these grills are hard to beat.

rky60
# Posted: 6 May 2018 17:44

I bought the Traeger Pro 22 a few weeks ago. I don't normally grill all that much, but I've used this every weekend since, been great. Goes thru a lot less pellets than I thought it would. Smoke setting is fantastic. I like that it can be used as an oven basically.

In this pic you'll see that I used it to its fullest potential on the first night, $925 for grill and accessories, $4 frozen pizza
Traeger
Traeger

Cowracer
# Posted: 7 May 2018 11:04 - Edited by: Cowracer

I got a GMG (Green Mountain Grill) Davy Crockett grill. Similar in function to the Traeger, but I like them better.

I have smoked numerous pork butts, chicken breasts, ribs and other things in it and it always turns out great. I have a good buddy who is a world-class bbq/smoker guy and I watch him deal with all the hassle of smoking a pork but on his charcoal grill, it almost feels like cheating with the GMG. I fill it with pellets, turn it on, throw some meat in it, and tell it what temp I want the box to run. Easy, peezy. I can even control it over my phone if I want, which makes it real handy.

Most surprising thing I have ever made in it? How about Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies? They were FANTASTIC!

Tim

p.s. the DC is only about $300
smoker.jpg
smoker.jpg

Thelar
# Posted: 7 May 2018 16:45 - Edited by: Thelar

I have a pitboss 820 at the cabin. Funny how many neighbors stop by to say hi when its smoking.
Brisket
Brisket
St Louis ribs
St Louis ribs

rockies
# Posted: 7 May 2018 22:22 - Edited by: rockies

Best Pellet Grills

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/best-pellet-smokers-barbecue-grills.html

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-and-buying-guides/grill-smoker-combos-such-ka mados-and-pellet-burners/pellet-smokers

sparky30_06
# Posted: 8 May 2018 07:02

I have a cookshack PG500 and it's the best investment I've made. Stainless steel construction built in Oklahoma. I look at it for 3 years and researched them before buying it and wish i would have bought it sooner. Amazing piece of equipment, easy to use. it will slow smoke a 16 hour pulled pork, 12 hour brisket, sear a steak or crank it up to 600 and make some amazing pizza.

http://www.cookshack.com/PG500

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.