Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Nextek DC Powered Ceiling Fans
rockies
# Posted: 31 May 2018 19:07

These ceiling fans use DC power rather than AC for small solar PV systems.

https://www.nextekpower.com/fanworks-catalog

darz5150
# Posted: 31 May 2018 21:19

I have 3 of these. Great for small to medium solar setup. When I got the first one I powered it from a battery out of a kids riding toy. Worked fine. Only blows down at one speed tho.
I have one mounted in a gazebo powered by a jump started box. Also have 2 in the cabin tied in with the solar system.
IMG_20180531_200328..jpg
IMG_20180531_200328..jpg

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Jun 2018 06:37

I use the Vari-Cyclone version of this. Great 12v fan. Note that the 24vdc controller in the OP link works 12-30 v so you can have speed control. Although this controller also allows you to reverse direction - the "cyclone" model blades are not really made for reverse.

Nate R
# Posted: 2 Jun 2018 07:54

I've been looking into this recently. There are now DC motor fans that are made for 120V AC. If you already have an inverter based system, these might work out well, too. They are extremely efficient, posting some awesome #s, especially at lower speeds. For the area I want to build in, I'm thinking of going this route for cooling.

https://www.minkagroup.net/images/instruction-manuals/F726-English--1514491207.pdf

This fan pushes 1600 CFM with less than 2 watts (on low.)

ICC
# Posted: 2 Jun 2018 10:37

I had the original version of the vari-cyclone in my former home back in the 90's. Great fan. RCM was the name and they retired and sold out 5 or 6 years ago. The blade design makes for superior air movement; more air moved for the same power consumption. The blades are airfoils, designed like a propeller, not just a flat board stirring the air.

When I built my present (larger) home I decided to go with AC fans because the distances from the batteries were longer. Also, the new place has more battery capacity and more AC devices. I think DC fans and other things might be good for smaller places. The way I looked at it was the DC-AC inverter system was going to be operating anyways for the fridge if nothing else, so why bother with the extra DC wire expense and bother?

You have to look hard but as Nate pointed out there are more efficient AC fans these days. Both motor and blade design is important.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Jun 2018 00:09

Quoting: darz5150
# Posted: 31 May 2018 21:19
Reply Quote

I have 3 of these. Great for small to medium solar setup. When I got the first one I powered it from a battery out of a kids riding toy. Worked fine. Only blows down at one speed tho.
I have one mounted in a gazebo powered by a jump started box. Also have 2 in the cabin tied in with the solar system.

Just got one to try out. Thanks. No specs on current draw?

darz5150
# Posted: 14 Jun 2018 09:19

I think its only 5 watts.

Jebediah
# Posted: 14 Jun 2018 10:43

Thanks for the info, I bought 2 cheap Chinese models off ebay, they have been working for two years now going on their 3rd ....One speed only, I was thinking of adding a dimmer to slow them down as they do push quite efficiently. I use one behind my wood stove in lieu of my echo fan.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.