Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Off Grid Air Conditioning?
rockies
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 18:47

Is it possible? I had assumed no. Anyone tried one?

https://www.practicalpreppers.com/air-conditioning/dc-air-conditioner-all-dc-for-off- grid-use

https://www.offgridbootcamp.com/off-grid-air-conditioning/

https://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/my-off-grid-solar-powered-air-condit ioner

rockies
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 18:50

And for the "Too expensive. I could build one out of a rusty coat hanger and lint from the dryer" types, here's some DIY options.

https://offgridworld.com/3-easy-diy-solar-air-conditioners/

ICC
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 20:20 - Edited by: ICC

Almost any split mini system that uses inverter compressor technology can be used totally off grid. Maybe not with a small golf cart battery-based system. I have a friend in the Sierra Nevadas who has run such a system for about ten years now and has dozens of customers doing the same. Mine is a Mitsubishi with a SEER of 30, now in its second summer. Other big name brands make similar high SEER inverter based units. Also incredibly quiet.

All those systems that evaporate water to produce cool air fail miserably when the humidity rises. In a desert climate, they can work well, but use an awful amount of water. I used to have an app when I had a swamp cooler. It made it easy to see what the maximum cool air temperature was once the humidity and the ambient outdoor temperature was known. I don't recall the name.

One of those articles mentioned that it was foolhardy to let the house/cabin/room get too warm before turning on the A/C.. Very true, IMO. Don't let the heat get ahead of what is comfortable.

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 22:20

Quoting: ICC
I have a friend in the Sierra Nevadas

Name of Dave, by any chance?

ICC
# Posted: 30 Jul 2018 22:50

It is. He is a friend of another friend here in NM and that friend turned me onto off grid A/C with split minis by what Dave had running.

creeky
# Posted: 31 Jul 2018 18:24

Quoting: ICC
off grid A/C with split minis

great for hot water too. esp for 3 season use.

this company has worked on DC air conditioners and mini splits for a number of years.

been nice watching them improve.

I'm kinda of meh on the need to go straight dc. but it does play nice with solar.

You can bang in a regular AC unit easily enough. Lots of inverters with no problems with that. And at 48v your inverter is 94% efficient. So the real energy loss is fairly low vs redundant systems/duplication. You know. Have one system rather than trying to tie in a separate dc panel string/batteries just for a heat pump.

Note: rockies links. their systems use lead acid batteries. that's not going to be your best cost option. just a heads up.

rockies
# Posted: 31 Jul 2018 18:42

So how do you tie a 48v device into a 24v system?

I usually see solar PV companies recommend that people install a 24v system since there are a lot more devices designed to run on that voltage.

ICC
# Posted: 31 Jul 2018 18:47

My thinking is that it is simpler to stick with AC power with a high quality inverter. The good stuff can be very efficient. Keep the DC power restricted to the battery room and panel wiring. It just makes a lot of sense to me to not run DC appliances. I don't worry about the inverter operating all the time as the refrigerator I have has an inverter compressor that runs virtually all the time at very low speed.

Split minis are also great for heating (if made with that option) when there is excess solar power after the batteries have reached full charge.

justinbowser
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 21:44

I have a Samlex PSW inverter and I just over-paneled and put an LG window unit in. Panels be cheap!

Fiberfav
# Posted: 14 Jul 2021 17:51

I installed a 12K BTU mini-split last fall and I've been very happy with the AC results so far, it's a direct PV connection to the mini-split, no inverter, no batteries just solar panels. If the sun is out the AC is running, usually enough cooling to make it for the night. You can also connect 240V to it as well if available. I was hoping I'd be able to keep the cabin above freezing with the mini-split but being dependant on the sun for heat in the winter is tricky, not to mention that days are shorter too. It will warm up the place well during day time but the heat loss at night is greater than what is produced during daytime.

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

model ACDC12c

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.